Which 39s are Most Desirable?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ChanceMcCall
Beginner

Which 39s are Most Desirable?

Post by ChanceMcCall »

I would be interested in learning how other collectors would order 39s in value and desirability. What makes that determination for you? I have heard that some collectors have certain years they value over others. (I'm talking about pre changes here.) Do the 39Ds with butt caps have greater value to you than the later issue that had no butt cap? I'm assuming the 90th Anniversary A & M that are chrome plated are at the top of the heap, but you may know something I don't know.

I would think your answers would be of value to all who read here, especially if someone makes an actual list.
Life Member NRA
Life Member SAF
Life Member GSL
Life Member SASS
Charter Life Member CMSA
LEOSA (Ret) Concealed Carry
Retired LE Close Quarters Firearms Instructor

Active Clay Shooter
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Which 39s are Most Desirable?

Post by marlinman93 »

I personally have always thought the very first pre WWII color casehardened 39A's were the most desirable, and had the best values. Especially so if they retain great case colors!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ChanceMcCAll;

I have to agree with Vall about the case-colored Model 39-A's. But do not forget about the little 39 Carbine made from 1963 to 1967. They are quite scarce ( only 12,140 made ) and then there is the 39 ADL's with the carved stock. They were made from 1961 to 1963 with only 3,306 of them made. There may be others that are harder to find, but these last two were made when Marlin put out a real quality product with nice polish and blue.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

the case colored ones sure do look nice. I'd love to have one, but what I do know is that the fat-forearmed versions from the early 50s SHOOT exceptionally well. These make very desirable target rifles for Lever Action Silhouette as well as squirrel rifles. It seems there are two different barrel weights. Or maybe the heavier barrels are a little later in time. Anyway, the early 50s are what I look for in 39a. I've been known to slim down those forearms however (gasp), I bought an extra fore stock for that purpose.
ChanceMcCall
Beginner

Post by ChanceMcCall »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:40 pm ChanceMcCAll;

I have to agree with Vall about the case-colored Model 39-A's. But do not forget about the little 39 Carbine made from 1963 to 1967. They are quite scarce ( only 12,140 made ) and then there is the 39 ADL's with the carved stock. They were made from 1961 to 1963 with only 3,306 of them made. There may be others that are harder to find, but these last two were made when Marlin put out a real quality product with nice polish and blue.
You have no idea what you did for my day! I was just offered and bought a 1967 carbine on Saturday for $500.00 and while it has been shot it is in near perfect condition. It is a one owner gun. I already had a 1951 39A and a 1971 39 D and I wanted the gun to round our what I already had. :)
Life Member NRA
Life Member SAF
Life Member GSL
Life Member SASS
Charter Life Member CMSA
LEOSA (Ret) Concealed Carry
Retired LE Close Quarters Firearms Instructor

Active Clay Shooter
MJRPHOTO
Beginner

Post by MJRPHOTO »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:40 pm ChanceMcCAll;

Just got this one last week. What might it be worth?

MJRPHOTO
Beginner

Post by MJRPHOTO »