.22 Lever Action

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Propnut
Beginner

.22 Lever Action

Post by Propnut »

Trying to get some background on this gun. Barrel has Patent dates of 01/18/1887, 04/02/1889, 08/12/1890 and 03/01/1892. Has Octagon barrel. Serial Number range 388300 to 388320. Cannot find a model number. Just looking for some history of the gun...model number, date range sold, source for a manual or exploded view of gun. Anything would be helpful. Gun is in Very Good condition, between Fair and Good I would say.

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: .22 Lever Action

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Propnut;

The serial number range you mention is too high for existing records, but only 2 models of .22 caliber guns were being made at the time. Either a Model '92or a Model '97, either of which will be marked on the upper tang, behind the hammer. The difference between the two models will be that the Model '97 is a takedown action whereas the Model '92 has a side plate that can be removed to aid in cleaning the gun. The '97 has a thumbscrew on the right side of the receiver that is about 1 inch in diameter and the '92 has a smaller one, about a half inch in diameter. Approximate date of manufacture will be about 1908.
About the only manual you will be able to find is a catalog of the era and read that. Reproduction catalogs can be found on eBay by Cornell Publishing or check their link on this site. Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has a parts diagram that you can look at if that helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
HMSwhistler
Beginner

Post by HMSwhistler »

Re; Marlin Model 97
I'm new to your forum and I am very glad that it is easily available with a wealth of information.
I recently obtain a Marlin model 97 w/ a scope; It was drilled on left side of Receiver, similar to Russian NG 91/30.
Not sure of the marking just yet. The rifle needs cleaning. Its covered in light coating of Fuzzy grease and some surface rust.

Its a very interesting Rifle. I'll Post some Pictures later as time avails.
My 1 question Did the Marlin Come from the Factory W/ a Scope or was it Drilled w/ Holes for a Scope?

It seems strange the way Scope is attached onto receiver.
Also stamp on Left of Barrel By Chamber is "AL AWD Guns" ( I think, rifle needs lots of TLC first).
Happy to be here.
HMSwhistler
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin didn't drill and tap for scopes at the factory until around 1954, so if yours is an older Marlin, it was likely done by a gunsmith. I have seen a letter dated from before WWII replying to a customer's request for scope mounting, and Marlin's reply that they would do it if the gun was returned to the factory with it's mount. So it was done as an after thought, if the customer returned the gun.
But without records we have to assume any found with scopes from before the 1950's are likely not done at the factory. Especially those that were made earlier than the era of the scopes and mounts found on them.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
HMSwhistler
Beginner

Post by HMSwhistler »

Re; Marlin, Model 97.

Thank you for your reply; I was able to clean up scope and retrieve the scope model and the scope make.
Its a "W.R. Weaver Co., Scope model 330. El-Paso Tex. USA
Marlin model 97,Serial number 288521. I think it came from a place called "Alamo Gun Co". it is stamp on left side of barrel by chamber.
Also is there correct way of removing the Forearm; It seems to be held by the magazine tube.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes the Weaver 330 is several decades newer than the gun, so not a factory install.

The magazine tubes on the 1897 and most early .22 lever Marlins must be removed before the forearm can be removed. They have a screw that attaches them to the mag tube hanger, and the tube needs to pulled out until the screw head is exposed to remove the screw. Then the two forearm cap screws need to be removed, and the cap slid forward. Then the whole tube and forearm assembly can be removed and the forearm slipped off the rear of the tube. Be sure NOT to remove the tube screw that is through the tube when you unscrew it from the retainer. Best to leave it sitting inside the tube, unless you plan to completely disassemble the tube itself. That can be a somewhat complicated and touchy process, requiring tiny pins to be driven out of the release, and little springs and parts that need to be cared for.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
HMSwhistler
Beginner

Post by HMSwhistler »

Thank you again; for all your help. I found the screw referred; Its at the end of Barrel as you have quoted.

Is there a location where the Caliber size is stamped on Rifle. I'm not sure if its 22 long or short and there seems to be no markings for Caliber size on The Marlin model 97 Rifle.