Marlin 39 values all over the place.

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gwhunter
Beginner

Marlin 39 values all over the place.

Post by gwhunter »

Hey guys I have a question about the value of the model 39 (original). In the buebook it list values over 1000 but I see these things selling for less than 500. Im not complaining but what should I bee looking for to insure Im not being taken. The gun I found is marked model 39. Has a 5 digit serial number and the bluing is pretty much gone off the receiver. However it functions fine and wood looks good for its age. Thank you in advance.
ChanceMcCall
Beginner

Re: Marlin 39 values all over the place.

Post by ChanceMcCall »

I think learning what a gun is worth is partly learning how to judge condition and then to learn whatever nuances go with a particular gun. Certainly, 39Ds are more rare than 39Ms and 39Ms are fewer than 39As. They should be worth more to a collector based on rarity. Then there are the squirrel guns which are in a class by themselves and have their own variations. In the end, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Right now, October, 2018, Gunbroker has many 39As and some 39Ms for sale. The ones with the lowest prices are getting a few cautious bids, but the ones priced where I think they should be are getting no bids at all. Since Remlin does not show any movement to make new ones all of the older ones worth more, but only if gun buyers have any interest other than Ruger 10/22s.

Good luck.
Life Member NRA
Life Member SAF
Life Member GSL
Life Member SASS
Charter Life Member CMSA
LEOSA (Ret) Concealed Carry
Retired LE Close Quarters Firearms Instructor

Active Clay Shooter
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gwhunter;

You are talking about the original Model 39, made from 1921 to 1939, right? If so, then this gun has been refinished as the original Model 39 had a case-colored receiver, NOT blued. Now, what you may be looking at are the faded case-colors that have turned a silvery color and shows patterns of the case-coloring.
Values of the Model 39 as you say are all over the place, and this all due to the condition of the remaining original factory finish remaining on the wood and metal. Really nice Model 39's are exceeding the $2,000.00 price range whereas lesser condition guns can be much less. Some even under the $1,000.00 price range. It all depends on how nice a gun you want and how much money you want to spend.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

ChanceMcCall wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 am I think learning what a gun is worth is partly learning how to judge condition and then to learn whatever nuances go with a particular gun. Certainly, 39Ds are more rare than 39Ms and 39Ms are fewer than 39As. They should be worth more to a collector based on rarity. Then there are the squirrel guns which are in a class by themselves and have their own variations. In the end, something is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Right now, October, 2018, Gunbroker has many 39As and some 39Ms for sale. The ones with the lowest prices are getting a few cautious bids, but the ones priced where I think they should be are getting no bids at all. Since Remlin does not show any movement to make new ones all of the older ones worth more, but only if gun buyers have any interest other than Ruger 10/22s.

Good luck.
And since judging condition is speculative, and seems all over the place also, often there can be large discrepancies in one person's opinion vs. another. I tend to be very conservative in my judgement of condition, and have had a few heated discussions with people who think their gun's bluing or case colors are much higher than I think.
On the other hand when I sell a gun buyers often tell me the gun is much better than I described. So maybe I am too conservative with my guesstimate.

Online gun auctions have driven prices to crazy levels. They have such a huge variable of experience levels in buyers, so often a couple novice buyers can drive the gun to unexpected prices. Once a particular gun sells for a high price, it seems to drive up every similar gun after that. I often see people using one of these fluke ending prices as an example of what their gun should be worth. They usually get disappointed when they sell, and hope for the same, but get much less.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!