How to value Model 92 with rare factory sights

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Model92owner
Beginner

How to value Model 92 with rare factory sights

Post by Model92owner »

New member here. I have a 1906-built (according to Brophy) Model 1892 22LR lever action, octagonal bbl. I bought it in 1955 when I was 10 years old, shot it for a couple of years and then bought a new Golden 39A in 1957, retiring this rifle. Despite a few light streaks streaks on the left side of the receiver, the bluing has a very, very nice patina. Everything is original, fully functional, nothing replaced, wood is in great condition. What caught my gunsmith's eye is the set of Marlin sights on it. They are flip up/flip down peep and open front and rear. The elevation adjustment is in many fine notches on the side of the rear sight. My 'smith said that in 15 years of seeing a lot of Marlins, he has never ever seen these sights. They are engraved Marlin and appear factory special-order. I have owned this rifle over 60 years - it is unlikely there was any messing around with it prior. So to my question: I am preparing to offer this rifle for sale, but have no idea how to price it. Any ideas? Any experts on sights who could give an answer on receipt of a photo? Thanks for any help.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: How to value Model 92 with rare factory sights

Post by marlinman93 »

The rear sight you described is the factory Hepburn sight I believe. A desirable option, and they alone often go for around $250 or more in nice condition. As for your gun, it's tough to estimate a gun sight unseen. I try not to, as I could be high or low without seeing good pictures. Bore condition will also be a big part of a value, and you never mentioned that. If you have pictures to post, and an accurate bore description, then I'd take a guess.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Model92owner
Beginner

Re: How to value Model 92 with rare factory sights

Post by Model92owner »

To MarlinMan93 - thank you - I'll take photos and post. My presumption is that the bore is as excellent as it was when I last shot it, but I will call the gunsmith who cleaned it to be sure. I don't know how to take a photo of the bore but am pretty certain the gunsmith would confirm what I write if a potential buyer were to call him - he is federally licensed and reputedly the best gunsmith in this area (Brevard County, east central Florida). If you have time, and before I start taking photos, can you tell me the best JPG photo size for posting to this blog? As for how to post them, should I attempt to post the photos here, as a reply to you, or in an e-mail directly to you (assuming I know your e-mail address)? I know guns pretty well (moreso modern ones) and computers pretty well, but I'm a novice on this blog/user group stuff. Regards.