Do I have a Model 50??

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tomlaw10
Beginner

Do I have a Model 50??

Post by tomlaw10 »

Just purchased what I was told is a model 50. It may be one because it fires from the open bolt. But it doesn't have the ejector lever or the cutout for it. On the top of the barrel it just says "The Marlin firearms Corporation" and below that "New Haven. Conn. U. S. A. Patented" The rear site has one screw mounting it. Has .22 Long Rifle just before the receiver LH side. The only markings on the receiver are on the LH side for the safety and that is ON and OFF. In stead of the rubber butt plate it is steel. While searching for info on it I also run across another site where someone had also described my rifle. But no one had replied to the question in over an year.

Is it possible that Marlin run out of the correct receiver and just used the Gambles one to use up a supply of Model 50 barrels? Or was the barrel replaced at some time and they used a model 50 one in a Gambles rifle?

I have pictures but couldn't figure out how to add them to this post. Send me an email and I will respond with the pictrues
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Do I have a Model 50??

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tomlaw10;

The Marlin Model 50 was the only semi-automatic, .22 caliber rifle that Marlin produced that fired from an open bolt.
According to Brophy, the later edition of the Model 50 did away with the manual extractor on the side of the receiver, and according to the parts price listing on page 302, the butt plate was available either rubber or steel.
The Model A-1 and A-1E were similar in appearance, but did not fire from an open bolt.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tomlaw10
Beginner

Post by tomlaw10 »

:D Thank you for the reply. I missed the line about a later variation, any idea why they left the model number off the receiver and what year(s)?

I also will be needing a magazine. Plenty of talk about converting other magazines, but haven't found any instructions on what needs to be done. Do you have a link to the instructions?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TomLaw10;

Not sure when the change was made, but most of the Model 50's I have seen do not have the manual extractor.
I did a quick GOOGLE search about the Model 50 magazine, and a YouTube video came up called "Early Marlin 22 Autoloaders by villafuego that stated that a replacement magazine could be made from a 1903 Savage magazine. There are some comments that follow that may help. Also some other videos about the Model 50 popped up at the same time.
You might search there for more information.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tomlaw10
Beginner

Post by tomlaw10 »

More questions on the Model 50.

Would anyone know the weights of the balancing blocks. The one in my rifle is 200 grans is it large or small block?