original marlin 39 stock?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

flatheadrick
Beginner

original marlin 39 stock?

Post by flatheadrick »

If original, should the stock of an early no prefix Marlin model 39 (circa 1925) show the gun's serial number on the stock under the tang when the stock is removed? The gun in question has a fancy figured stock (with a marlin bulls eye in the proper location under the stock and a very well fitting butt plate), but the metal on the gun has been refinished as has the stock, if original. Thanks

Flathead Rick
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: original marlin 39 stock?

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, it should have the serial # where you noted it.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

Does your or anyone's vintage 39 have a pistol grip stock? Is so how thick is it at the butt plate? As in side to side measurement not top to bottom. The traditionalist in me prefers the narrower furniture on the vintage Marlins. My 39a, and two 336's (all from the 1950's) have the thick butt stocks and forearms. I can provide an email addie or a cell phone number via private messaging to send me photos.
flatheadrick
Beginner

Post by flatheadrick »

My early Model 39 is at another location now so I cannot measure it for you, but if you wish to send me your email, I will send you photos if that is any help. My email is richardschreiber@cox.net
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Measurements on early Marlin rifles will be approximate, and not exact. Every buttstock was shaped and fitted with the buttplates in place, so there are virtually no two exactly alike. Close, but not exact.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!