What Marlin 39s Do You Consider Collectable?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ChanceMcCall
Beginner

What Marlin 39s Do You Consider Collectable?

Post by ChanceMcCall »

I am trying to figure out which, if any, Marlin 39s are considered collectable by Marlin collectors. Any information would be helpful.
Life Member NRA
Life Member SAF
Life Member GSL
Life Member SASS
Charter Life Member CMSA
LEOSA (Ret) Concealed Carry
Retired LE Close Quarters Firearms Instructor

Active Clay Shooter
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: What Marlin 39s Do You Consider Collectable?

Post by Brent »

not to be a smartass, but the ones you like the most would be my suggestion. I'm a lousy collector :)
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

My suggestion is any that still have case coloring left on them. :D
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hope you mean Model 39, and not 39a. So many people lump them all together these days.
I personally think all Model 39 Marlins are collectable, regardless of condition. But of course the higher the condition, the higher the collectability.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ChanceMcCall;

If you are including all versions of the Model 39 and 39-A, then there are quite a few worth mentioning. The first and second variation of the 39-A with case-colored receivers are the beginning of the Model 39-A. There are several of versions of the Model 39, the standard versions with no letter prefix, the guns with the "S" prefix and the guns with "HS" prefix and some deluxe guns with checkered stocks.
The Model 39-A has several blued versions worth finding. The early guns with the Ballard rifling, and the deluxe versions made in the early 1960's called the 39-ADL with checkered stocks and stock carving. Then there are the 90th Anniversary guns of which only 500 of each version was made. ( 39-A rifle and the 39 Mountie) There is the 39 Carbine made in the early 1960's as well that was of limited production and somewhat hard to find today. Those are the ones I would start with, then work on to the limited production guns of the 1970's. The Century Limited, the Article II and the Octagons. The early 39 TDS is scarce and hard to find as well complete with the original case.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ChanceMcCall
Beginner

Post by ChanceMcCall »

The reason for the question is that I own both a 1951 39A and a 1971 39D and I am beginning to get a collecting bug for these rifles. I know the "squirrel rifles" are highly sought after and I have a possible opportunity in the future for a matched set. If I get the chance and I am not too old when that happens, I will buy them.

That said, I'm not really sure what else is considered a collectable. I know that, in general, manufacturer's commemoratives often have little extra value and maybe a very limited market, but I am not sure if the same thing holds true for the Marlin 39s. I am just trying to begin to learn before I start shelling out money as a collector. It always amazes me what is considered collectable and what is not so I know I don't yet know what I am doing.

I once ended up with seven Colt commemorative derringers, in trade from the gun dealer who put this commerative deal together because he had a lot of derringers and was short of cash. I was trading him furs (he was also a fur dealer) and I think we agreed on a value of $28.00 apiece for the guns against his pay price for the fur. Years later someone mentioned those same guns and talked about how much Colt collectors were paying for them. Since I wasn't collecting them and they were still sitting in a safe years later, I started selling them for between $750-$800 apiece. Blew my mind.

On the other hand, I had both a Colt comparative pistol and a Winchester commemorative that took two years to sell and for about what I paid for them when I bought them. Like I said, I'm trying to learn.

Las thought. I'm interested in the 39s to buy and keep, not sell. I just want to learn enough so that I do not pay too much for them in the first place, and so if I show them people are actually interested in seeing them.
Life Member NRA
Life Member SAF
Life Member GSL
Life Member SASS
Charter Life Member CMSA
LEOSA (Ret) Concealed Carry
Retired LE Close Quarters Firearms Instructor

Active Clay Shooter
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

ChanceMcCall wrote:
Las thought. I'm interested in the 39s to buy and keep, not sell. I just want to learn enough so that I do not pay too much for them in the first place, and so if I show them people are actually interested in seeing them.
Your post brings up some very good points, and a great discussion topic! Also one I often have with prospective collectors at our monthly collector gun show. Fellas often ask how long I've collected, or what made me choose Marlins. I try to tell people that what they collect isn't as important as why they collect it. I wouldn't start out collecting anything with the idea of how much it will increase in value. I started out collecting because I loved the particular gun(s) and wanted to learn more about them, and acquire a niche collection; much like you described with the 39/39a.
What is most important is to gather as much information on whatever gun model you love. Attend a lot of gun shows, and in this day and age, watch a lot of online auction sites to see where they sell at. How those guns may or may not increase in value should be irrelevant. If you get to worrying about whether your collection goes up in value, you'll end up not buying guns that will complete your collecting interest.
I had a good friend who passed away some time ago, and he collected Model 60 Marlins, and variants based on that semiauto .22 rifle. I never understood the attraction myself, as I didn't find them interesting. But after years of seeing him chase all sorts of variations, I looked at his collection and was very impressed with what he had! Did he have much monetary value in those 60 or 70 guns? I doubt it. But it was still an impressive collection, and I bet possibly one of a kind too.
Become a historian on the Model 39/39a, and gradually accumulate guns you love. You'll be much happier with the hobby than you'll be if you fret over whether they go up or down in value later. Likely they will go up, but that shouldn't be as important as your enjoyment in collecting them.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

ChanceMcCall and Vall;

Do not forget the thrill of the chase, too. It is always a great day when you find that a piece you have been hoping to find and add to the collection. After that, it is moving on the next piece you really want that will enhance your collection. If that hunt goes on, collecting never becomes boring. There is also the other things that enhance the collection as well. Cartridge boxes from the era of the collection, catalogs of the period, etc. These things add to the thrill of the hunt for new items.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Excellent advice Rick! I enjoy the accessories, and accoutrements that relate to a specific gun as much as I enjoy the guns! And the chase is definitely a huge part of collecting enjoyment!
I've seen single gun displays that impressed me more than those with a hundred guns on the display! They weren't even super rare, or high value guns always either! A one gun display with lots of related items on the display can keep my attention a lot longer than huge displays do! It takes a huge amount of effort for a collector to put together that kind of display, unless he's very lucky and stumbles across it all together, with a gun!