Engraved Marlin 1892

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

palabra
Pro-Marksman

Engraved Marlin 1892

Post by palabra »

There is an extraordinary engraved Marlin 1892 on Gunbroker http://www.gunbroker.com/item/599335613 I have researched everything I can find and I cannot find another example of this level and complexity of checkering and engraving. The checking appears to not have been redone, however, it is worn from carry. The checking may have also been revarnished at some time. Has anyone ever seen this pattern? It almost appears to be Marlin, Savage and Stevens all rolled into one with the different lines per inch and the shapes.

The engraving is reminiscent of Lord of the Vale style with all the oak leaves and such. There are a number of examples of Marlins with this general type of pattern in other calibers. I am, however, concerned that all of the engraving shows the metal 'white' meaning it was done after it was blued. I am accustomed to seeing engraved blued receivers where the engraving carries the blue the same as the flats. It is amazingly intricate.

What are your thoughts for the authenticity and style of the engraving and checkering? Has anyone seen these complex of patterns on a Marlin? thanks for your comments, I find the best way to research deluxe models is talk to everyone who has seen them to find out what is out there.

Regards, Jerry
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Engraved Marlin 1892

Post by Brent »

Can it really be that $12.5k was not enough to meet reserve? Clearly, I don't grasp something. What might be enough to pry it lose? Anyone have a guess?
palabra
Pro-Marksman

Post by palabra »

I am surprised at $12.5K. While it is a very fancy rifle, the condition was not anywhere near the rifles that sold at Julia and others in the $12 - $20K range. I also think that a $12.5K offer for this rifle is a strong price. It was not mentioned but you can see in a photo that the toe was chipped and repaired. Since the buttplate was not broken in the pic, then I would surmise the plate was a replacement, and, the stock worked on to get a reasonable fit. Now, if it was 95% original condition, all serial numbers validated as matching, and no damaged toe, $15 - $20K may be possible. All my opinion of course.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

the price certainly dwarfs the one Marlin I lust over more than any others. But I couldn't afford that one either when it was available.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/P ... in%20C.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jerry;

Do not know how I missed this post before, but here goes.
The gun on GB is a factory engraved gun, and the pattern is listed in the engraving sections of the old Marlin catalogs from 1899 to 1916 as the 5-3 engraving pattern. The checking is the exact style checking as shown in the catalogs for the 5-3 engraved gun.
This pattern is far more rare than the 5-4 engraving, commonly called "The Monarch of the Dell" as shown on page 199 of Brophy's book. You will see 10 of the 5-4 pattern engraved guns before you will see 1 of the 5-3 pattern guns.
The stock on the GB gun appears to be Circassian walnut (not offered on lever guns, but standard on the "D" grade shotguns), finished in the London Dull Oil finish. Again, very unusual to see the London finish since it cost an extra $2.50 to apply that finish to gun stocks in 1914. People did not like to spend the extra for something like that back then.
So the gun is a special gun, considering engraved Model 1892's in .22 caliber is not very often seen at all, and a high grade of engraving at that. Grades 1,2 and 3 can be found once in a while but any engraved Model 1892 is very rare to see. Of all the engraved .22 caliber lever action guns in the Julia auction mentioned, only 2 were Model 1892's ( 1 .32 caliber was sold ) but there were 7 Model 1897/'97's sold at the same auction.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Circassian walnut and London oil finish wasn't available on lever guns? That's a new one on me Rick, and never heard that before? I'd guess maybe my engraved 1893 was also an exception? I thought Marlin's special order catalog listed both options?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Vall;

The London Oil Finish was offered in the catalogs on all guns where special order features could be ordered. The Circassian walnut was not offered on the lever guns, just the "D" Grade, Trap Gun and Field Gun shotguns. Selected or extra selected walnut, which was American walnut was offered, along with extra selected birdseye maple. The only catalog to mention the birdseye maple is the Special High Grade Catalog of 1897, and there is no mention of Circassian walnut in that catalog. Model 1881's were listed in the early catalogs to have English walnut.

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Well it seems from the auction gun (which looks like the wood on my 1893) that they did provide something that looks like Circassian walnut? Guessing maybe this was an unlisted option?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Vall;

Must remember, this was a time when the customer got what he wanted. All they would have to do is pay for it. You will see guns with features that were not listed in the catalogs. Special order meant just that, a special order. Even the engraving pattern could be special ordered with your own design if you wanted it. Gold or platinum inlays could be applied to any grade of engraving if you wanted. I have seen a #3 engraved 1893 with platinum inlays. The gold and platinum inlays were not reserved for just the #10, 15 or Grade 40 engraved guns. Again, all you had to do was pay for it.