modle 80-dl

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

PhilC
Beginner

modle 80-dl

Post by PhilC »

Greetings and hello!
Earlier today I went to the local pawn shop and found a model 80 DL. Being a sucker for .22s and especially old ones I grabbed it.
The price was right at $75 but I am curious as to the real age.
It has no SER# (so pre '64), but there are no other markings on the rifle anywhere.
The stock appears to be Walnut,
it is straight combed
There is no scope mount groove in the receiver
has a plastic trigger guard
there are no markings for "micro groove" barrel or any other markings other than company, model, cal, and S,L,LR ----A
there is no "Bullseye" in the stock, that may have been drilled out for the sling mount? (the sling is marked "hunter" inside a powder horn.

The rifle is in 65-70 percent condition and shoots very well.
I am not a collector, just a guy with a soft spot for old .22s. but I would like to know the approx. age of this rifle.
PhilC
Beginner

Re: modle 80-dl

Post by PhilC »

There is also no 2 letter code on the left side of the barrel to try to date it with.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

PhilC;

The Marlin Model 80 DL was made from 1941 to 1964. Your Marlin Model 80 DL sounds like a first variation version with the straight comb stock. The 1957 Marlin catalog states the receiver was grooved for scope mounts, so it would appear that your gun was before that. The fact the barrel is not marked Micro-Groove may mean it has the old style, Ballard rifling that was replaced in all Marlin .22 caliber rifles in 1954 with the new, patented Micro-Groove rifling.
Unfortunately, that may be about as close as we can get to determining when your Model 80 DL was made, sometime between 1941 to 1954. The 2 letter date code did not start until 1962.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
PhilC
Beginner

Post by PhilC »

Thanks, I didn't buy this rifle as a collector piece just as a shooter. I have a soft spot for old .22s This one is Ballard rifling, so I guess I will just have to be satisfied with pre '53.
I hope to get it out and see what kind of accuracy it has soon. just haven't had the time to get out and shoot. I did spend about an hour cleaning her the other day and she is a sexy beast with a shine on her!
PhilC
Beginner

Post by PhilC »

Got a chance to get out this AM on the range with her. Even from my caffeine fueled body and with some cruddy ammo, (Centurion 40 gr solid, (this ammo is very dirty burning and it seemed from the sound of the report that some serious charge differences were there). I managed dime size groups at 30 yds. from a sitting position. I cant wait to put her on a bench with some better ammo!
I believe the old girl is a shooter!

The only down side is a new magazine that I bought Genuine Marlin for #80, wouldn't seat properly. I had to file down the tops of 2 rivets on the mag to get it to latch. after that, no problem!
Southern Reloading
Beginner

Post by Southern Reloading »

I have just refinished a Model 80. Absolutely great piece of walnut. Wood was black and metal rusted. Barrel still has some pitting but I was very pleased with the outcome. Had to get a new rear sight and I replaced the trigger guard. It would not clean up. Otherwise it came out great.
srb055
Beginner

Post by srb055 »

hi new to this form,I also bought a sears model 103-2 which is a marlin model 80 for 50.00 bucks did a little research most models were made late 30's early 40's stoped about 1943 or44.and I need a magazine for mine model 80 if any body has one they would like to seal.