Model 39A Failure to feed

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Prairie Buck
Beginner

Model 39A Failure to feed

Post by Prairie Buck »

When I bought this early 1950 Model 39A last week, the gun shop owner said the seller described feeding as 'optional', meaning sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. After cleaning and inspection I got out this afternoon to shoot it. Failure to feed about 75-80% of the time. Someone previously has tried to address the problem. The carrier has been mirror polished on the sides.

The problem appears to be that the carrier does not descend low enough. From the 'taken down' condition, when working the lever, the carrier is definitely not going low enough to pick up the round. Again in the 'taken down' condition, as the bolt is slid fore and aft, the rounds are coming out of the mag tube and up against the protrusion from the bottom of the bolt. It appears that the protrusion brings the carrier down but not far enough. The protrusion appears to be as original.

I am thinking that a new carrier may solve the problem but not sure.

Does anyone have a solution or feedback?

Prairie Buck
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Re: Model 39A Failure to feed

Post by Prairie Buck »

I have now confirmed that the carrier is NOT going low enough to pick up the next round. To determine this I removed the cartridge guide spring and screw. I can cycle the action, then open just enough to insert a probe thru the open screw hole to contact the carrier. I can then push the carrier down an additional 3/32 of an inch.

It appears that either the bolt or the lever is not moving the carrier down far enough. I suspect that the round 'button' on the side of the carrier, that contacts the bottom edge of the lever, is too small in diameter. It is .255" in diameter.
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

The failure to feed that I am experiencing is a problem related to rounds moving from the mag tub to the carrier. It appears that the carrier just is not going down far enough for the round to be released from the mag. As indicated earlier the 'button' on the carrier is 0.255. I have had one response from someone who was kind enough to measure his at 0.254. So that does not appear to be the problem. I am looking for some suggestions maybe outside of this group to find a solution to this problem.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Prairie Buck;

Have you checked the rocker in the carrier? Check it for wear at the contact point where the lever moves against it. Also, check to see if the rocker is moving freely.
Do you know anyone with a Model 39-A that you can exchange your carrier out with to check to see if it is your carrier or maybe even the lever. Exchanging parts is the quickest method to see what may be wrong. (also the cheapest) If you find other parts that work, then you have found the problem.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

I just finished checking the rocker. It seems to be functioning as is should. It ducks behind the lever as the lever is lowered. Then follows the leading edge of the lever as it is brought back up. It then slips thru to the back side. Sometimes it then gives the carrier a little kick down but most of the time not. Without the kick, the carrier is still over 1/4" from going down all the way. With the kick it is still just under 1/4" from full travel. I will have to enquire at the local toy stores to find someone else that has a 39A that I can do the parts swap thing with. IS THE CARRIER SUPPOSED TO DROP DOWN TO PICK UP THE NEXT ROUND AT THE END OF THE LEVER TRAVEL OR AT THE BEGINNING OF THE NEXT CYCLE?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Prairie Buck;

The way is supposed to work is: The "hook" on the bottom of the breech bolt depresses the cartridge cut-off in the side of the receiver allowing the cartridge to exit the magazine tube and then cartridge enters the carrier as the lever moves back. (the "hook" controls this action) At the same time, the breech bolt is moving backward, extracting the spent cartridge from the chamber and ejecting it when the lever reaches the full back position. As the lever moves forward, the lever moves past the rocker which causes the lifter to raise and the cartridge moved forward up into the chamber from the carrier by the "hook" on the breech bolt as it moves to the locking position with the lever.
You may want to check the cartridge cut-off in the side of the receiver to make sure it is working properly. If it is sticking, the cartridge cannot get out of the magazine tube, onto the carrier. It may be what is holding up the carrier too. Just a thought.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

The cartridge cut off is working properly if and when the carrier goes down far enough to trip it to let the cartridge out of the mag tube. The problem is most of the time the carrier does not go low enough.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Lever or rocker. I doubt the carrier needs replacing, since putting a new rocker in it usually fixes the problem much cheaper.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!