Marlin Golden 39-A with Strange Serial Number

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gunny JC
Beginner

Marlin Golden 39-A with Strange Serial Number

Post by Gunny JC »

Question about year of manufacture. I've read previous posts and bounced against the charts posted and I'm still having a rough time figuring it out. At first, I thought 1988 because of first two characters. I found a chart that suggests 1885 based on the four digit serial number but, it has microgroove. Besides, it in no way looks like a 130 year old rifle. Now, I don't know. Serial Number 88xx (only four characters located on lower tang). First 3 characters (88x) look like they were stamped at the same time. The last number seems to have been stamped at a later date. The last character is a little higher and seems to be a different font and stamp depth (pressure). JM stamp on right side of barrel. What looks like a capitol R on left side of barrel. Marlin MOD. 39 on upper tang. No crossbolt safety. Walnut stock with bullseye. No checkering. Microgroove barrel.

Can't figure out how to post pictures.

Anyone got a clue?
Jimmy C.
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Golden 39-A with Strange Serial Number

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jimmy C;

First off, thank you for your service to our country! There are many here that appreciate it.
From your description, it sounds like you have a Marlin Model 39, made about 1923/1924 with a new Model 39-A barrel installed in it. The barrel will have been made after 1954 with the Micro-Groove rifling. If this is the case, then about the whole front of the gun would have had to be replaced at the round 39-A barrel would not fit up properly to the octagon barrel forearm and forearm cap. It would also be interesting to know what style magazine tube your Model 39 now has.
Posting photos would be a great help to determine exactly what you have.
To post photos of your rifle, go to the section labeled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS" and scroll down about 2/3s of the way down to a post titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". Scroll through the responses and find the instructions posted by Road King on how to post pictures to the website.
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Marlin rifle.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.