Model 38??

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Oyster
Beginner

Model 38??

Post by Oyster »

Can't find any info online about this old 22 slide action rifle (aka 'gallery gun') that my dad owned circa 1920-1940's. SN: A10156. This was my first rifle experience (after Boy Scout camp) over 60 yrs ago. I inherited it, cleaned it up and it works fine. Now a favorite in my small collection. Would like to know when it was manufactured and any more info about this old Marlin rifle. I would post an image if I could figure out how as I am a newbie on this board.
Oyster
Beginner

Re: Model 38??

Post by Oyster »

Not one reply! What kind of Marlin board is this? Someone??
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oyster;

The Marlin Model 38 started out life as the Model 32 in 1915. It was very short lived as the Marlin family sold the company in December of 1915. The new company discontinued the Model 32 as the company was involved with making machine guns for WW I. In 1921, the company changed again, and the new company, the Marlin Firearms Corporation reintroduced the Model 32 with the new Model 38 designation. The Model 38 was offered from 1921 to 1929 with either a round or octagon barrel. There were some minor changes made between the Model 32 and 38, covered by a few new patents.
Your gun with the "A" serial number prefix is close to the highest number with that prefix listed. There were guns with no prefix, guns with the "A" prefix, like yours and guns with a "D" prefix. When and why there are the different serial numbers is really not known at this time, and probably will not unless some dedicated collector takes up the cause to make the determination. For now, that is all that is really available information wise.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Oyster
Beginner

Post by Oyster »

Many thanks, Gunrunner! Mine is an octagonal barrel, still in good working condition. Fun to shoot and good memories of plinking with my dad.

I must admit I own a Ruger 10/22 with a cheap scope, new BX-25 trigger and a cheap laser sight. A very sweet 22lr rifle.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oyster;

Since the Model 38 was made prior to 1932, most likely, you should not be using high speed ammunition in your Model 38. Marlin changed the Model 39 after 1932 to accommodate the new, high speed ammunition, as it was causing problems for the Model 39 in that the high speed ammunition would crack the breech bolt. Now, that may not happen with your Model 38 since it is a totally different design, but why chance it. Use standard velocity or target .22 caliber ammunition and it should be okay.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.