Golden 39A Mountie 1955 mfr date

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

shortside
Beginner

Golden 39A Mountie 1955 mfr date

Post by shortside »

I recently picked up a really nice, potentially unusual Marlin. I am really happy with it, and it is in near mint condition. However, as no one around here has seen one like it, I have some questions!

It was apparently purchased form the PX at a base in Japan in the 50's, owned by a now retired Officer. He really kept his guns in fine condition!

This rifle is tight, stiff, and shows and extremely low amount of use... My gun smith friend says it could have been refinished, as it is in "too good" of shape... but it doesn't add up. The bluing is really nice, very deep blue/black and all letters and stamps are perfect. Everything seems to be absolutely correct.

Look at the finish on this thing! Was there a deep blue finish used on some of these? This is much nicer than most I have seen.

Here are photos taken by the seller: I can take and send more if specific views are needed.

Thanks for any answers or thoughts you might have!

Shortside
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Golden 39A Mountie 1955 mfr date

Post by jorgy »

Marlin used rust bluing until the 70's. That looks like hot bluing to me which would give the gun a non original finish. The checkering on the stocks is also non original. I have not known Marlin to use checkering patterns like what is on your gun. I apologize for my opinion but I
believe someone has altered this gun from its factory originality.
shortside
Beginner

Re: Golden 39A Mountie 1955 mfr date

Post by shortside »

My date of MFR was wrong. I have learned it is a 1965 date Serial No. AA ####

Does this change your thoughts on the bluing?

Thanks for the post.

Matt