marlin 1873 xx 22 cal

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

aet123456
Beginner

marlin 1873 xx 22 cal

Post by aet123456 »

I have a 1873 xx 22 cal with no markings except serial no.2 with ivory grips. can any one give me more imformation on this gun. I thought it might be a sample.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin 1873 xx 22 cal

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Aet123456;

If this is the same XX Standard, serial number 2 that was offered to me a number of years ago by a nationally known gun dealer, then it will not be a sample gun. The gun I was offered was a 2nd variation with round barrel and fluted cylinder ( there was no transition XX Standard from the 1st variation that had an octagon barrel, round cylinder to the round barrel, fluted cylinder ), and may or may not be the 1st serial number 2 of the 2nd variation. It could be the 1st #2, and then it could be the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd serial number 2 of the XX Standards.
The only way to tell if it is the 1st or 2nd is by the barrel markings on the side of the barrel, and since your gun does not have any of the markings, we can never know about that. If it is the 3rd serial number 2, the back of the cylinder may be different than the earlier versions. There are two different styles of cylinder ratchets on the XX Standards. At the time I saw the gun I was offered, I did not notice the cylinder ratchets, a mistake on my part.
Marlin had a roll die for the top of the barrel that was used on the 1st variation and on early 2nd variations that looked something like: - XX Standard 1873 - So any XX Standards made after the 1st variations should have had the top barrel marking. The side barrel markings changed from the 1st variation to the 2nd variations, and there were two other side barrel markings used after the new one used on the first of the 2nd variation guns. It may be that your gun was one made for or by one of the Marlin employees, and was shorted in the gun making process and did not receive the intended markings. We will never know that.
If you have any other questions, please let me know......... I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
aet123456
Beginner

Post by aet123456 »

thank you for the answer to my question. I have owned a number of these marlins including engraved guns, and collecting for 55 yrs, so my next statement is kind of embarrassing ,and something I should have noticed at once. I compared it to a friends gun and noticed the frame and cylinder is longer. It will take a 22 long. however the barrel and grips fit perfict .the side plate .hammer and inside parts are the same. I don't know what this sorry for wasting your time. This has got me wondering. Thanks again.
aet123456
Beginner

Post by aet123456 »

after my last post. I searched marlin 1873 xx images on the internet on the right side of the web page it shows an image of a cylinder like mine with long flutes. The gun is broken open and by little gun. Thankx again . Albert
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Albert;

You have me a little confused. All the XX Standards were chambered for the .22 caliber long cartridge. You mentioned that there appears to be different cylinder lengths, but I measured several XX Standards throughout the lines of production, and they were all within a few thousands of an inch with each other in length. Early guns have the same length cylinder as the latest gun I have. I also laid the frames against each other to check the overall dimensions of the frames, and they all appear the same as well.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.