original or replacement stock on 1951 marlin 39a

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lowcountrygarand
Beginner

original or replacement stock on 1951 marlin 39a

Post by lowcountrygarand »

The ice/snow storm that is currently over the southeast united states is hitting where I live today. I didn't have work today so I was planning on just staying indoors today until I got the call from the FFL I use that my 1951 Marlin 39a arrived today. I am very excited to finally own a Marlin 30a after months of looking for one. Being that it is a 1951 I would love for it to have the brass peanut on the pistol grip but it doesn't. I have heard that because of supply shortages not all of the 1951's had that brass piece and white caps. This satisfied me until I saw the butt pad and it doesn't say Marlin on it. I am now wondering if perhaps the butt pad or the entire stock (and butt pad) had been replaced at sometime. I got, what I consider a pretty good deal on it. Only paid $450 for it. Not sure what the market is like where you all live but I haven't seen one sell around here for under $500 and I haven't seen any on gunbroker sell for under $550. It shoots great (which is what I got it for), so even if it doesn't have all its original parts I will still be extremely happy. But, until i ask some more expert opinions then my curiosity on if that stock and butt plate/pad are original or not is going to keep gnawing at me. Now lets see if I can get the pics posted correctly.

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/lowco ... rlin%2039a
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: original or replacement stock on 1951 marlin 39a

Post by Brent »

It sounds like you got a very good price.

My 51 has the peanut, so I guess I lucked out. I do love the Marlins from that era. I bet you will love yours too.

bTW, if anyone is interested in a 1951 vintage forearm for a 39 a I have a pretty good one to sell. Just the forearm though.
lowcountrygarand
Beginner

Re: original or replacement stock on 1951 marlin 39a

Post by lowcountrygarand »

I guess I can ask the question in a different way. Did marlin produce any butt pads for the 39a that did not say Marlin on them?