How to Determine Model and Serial Number

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

GeneR
Beginner

How to Determine Model and Serial Number

Post by GeneR »

I have an early 20th century (probably pre 1930) single shot 22. I have search for a model and serial number but can't find either. The only writing is: "The Marlin Firearms Corporation New Haven Conn. U. S. A. - Patented". This being along the left side of the barrel and in front of the rear sight. The following is also stamped into the left side of the barrel close to the receiver, "22 S L & LR". Can anyone help with identifying the year and model of this rifle?

Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: How to Determine Model and Serial Number

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

GeneR;

There are a couple of single shot .22 caliber rifles made in the time frame you mention. One is the Model 65 ( & 65E) and the Model 100. Is there a separate locking port from the ejection port for the breech bolt, or does the breech bolt lock down in the ejection port itself. That is one quick way to determine the difference.
Looking forward to your reply.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Ryp
Beginner

Post by Ryp »

I have a 22 single shot rifle with only the exact same markings as the previous poster: company name, location and 22 SL & LR. No numbers or letters.

You asked the previous poster if there is a separate locking port from the ejection port for the breech bolt, or does the breech bolt lock down in the ejection port itself. My ejection pin is on the right hand side of the bolt approximately 3/8th inch forward of the bolt arm.

Is there any way to determine the model and year?

Thank you!
alrodgers
Beginner

determine manufacture date on older 22 marlin levers

Post by alrodgers »

I have an octogon barrel, most recent patent date 1892(there are 3 older ones).serial #256850 any idea of the manufacture date?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Alrodgers;

According to the old factory records, your octagon barrel Marlin is a Model 1892, in .32 Colt caliber with a 24 inch octagon barrel, shipped in late 1902.
The Model 1892 in .32 Colt caliber was originally shipped with two firing pins so that either the .32 Colt rim fire cartridge or the .32 Colt center fire cartridge could be shot in this rifle. It was only a matter of removing the side plate and removing the breech bolt to change the firing pins.

wyobulldog
Beginner

Post by wyobulldog »

I inherited a Marlin 22, with a slide action. Round Barrel, says "The Marlin Firearms Corporation New Haven U.S.A.
<---o---o---<<< PATD USA MARCH 24TH 1908 2 PATENTS >>>--o--o--->
My issue of sorts is this weapon has a personal history, my father has had it for many year it belonged to an old family friend before that, the markings behind the trigger and/or behind the trigger where it would normally display the model number is covered 50 tape. I don't want to remove, sentimental reasons. https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5755/2974 ... 24fc_c.jpg https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5525/2974 ... 35c2_z.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7721/3007 ... f4a2_z.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Wyobulldog;

From what can be seen, and the barrel markings, it would appear that this is a Marlin Model 37, .22 caliber pump action rifle. The Model 37 was made from 1923 to 1932 with about 12,500 produced during the production run.
The forearm is a pine replacement instead of the original walnut forearm that it originally had. The sights appear to be original.
The Model 37 is a renamed Model 20 that originally came out in 1906 under the Marlin Firearms Company. The Marlin Firearms Corporation that came into business in 1921 changed the model marking so to make a "new" model under their name.
You would need to get the serial number to estimate the year your rifle was made.

wyobulldog
Beginner

Post by wyobulldog »

Thanks, so much. Yes I knew the for arm was a replacement, my father had told me in one of his stories that it was a broom handle carved out to fit. Again part of the family legacy. This gives me what I was looking for, I am writing up a number of weapons that I inherited or thet I currently own and the story behind them for my daughter, when she inherits them.
mh53
Beginner

Post by mh53 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Wyobulldog;

From what can be seen, and the barrel markings, it would appear that this is a Marlin Model 37, .22 caliber pump action rifle. The Model 37 was made from 1923 to 1932 with about 12,500 produced during the production run.
The forearm is a pine replacement instead of the original walnut forearm that it originally had. The sights appear to be original.
The Model 37 is a renamed Model 20 that originally came out in 1906 under the Marlin Firearms Company. The Marlin Firearms Corporation that came into business in 1921 changed the model marking so to make a "new" model under their name.
You would need to get the serial number to estimate the year your rifle was made.
="mh53"

I have a Model 24 1908 22SL-LR,Model 37...behind the trigger guard on stock it says "0228-1"
Is that the serial number?? Or production number??
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mh53;

Your question is not quite clear. Do you have a Model 24 (a 12 gauge pump action, exposed hammer shotgun) or a Model 37 with those numbers you mention? Marlin did not make a .22 caliber Model 24. Is it a Model 29 instead? There was also a Model 25 pump action rifle. Pictures of what you reference would help.

mh53
Beginner

Post by mh53 »

mh53 wrote:
Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Wyobulldog;

="mh53"

I have a Model 24 1908 22SL-LR,Model 37...behind the trigger guard on stock it says "228-1"
Is that the serial number?? Or production number??
Found out this Marlin 37 was made from appx. 1913-1916...It has the original Walnut stock and forarm,original screws,butt plate and endcap...Only made for three yrs...Rare...
And sold for appx.$21.75 brand new...Thanks for the help...
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mh53;

Better check your sources for information. The Model 37 was made from 1923 to 1932 as stated above. The closest model to fit the dates you state was the Model 29 & 29N.

mh53
Beginner

Post by mh53 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Mh53;

Better check your sources for information. The Model 37 was made from 1923 to 1932 as stated above. The closest model to fit the dates you state was the Model 29 & 29N.
According to this guy on you-tube,has the same as I do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPmalLOiSIc
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Mh53;

A real source of information is William S. Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that made them.
If you pay attention to the youtube video, you will see that his Marlin Model 37 has the Marlin trademark Bullseye in the toe of the stock. That trademark item did not come into use until 1923. Therefore, the gun was made after 1923. I have a near complete collection of Marlin catalogs from 1883 to present, and the Model 37 is not shown in any catalog until 1923. If the Model 37 would have been made between 1913 and 1916 as the video states, it would have been listed in those catalogs. It is NOT in the 1913, 1914 or 1915 Marlin catalog, and the 1916 catalog is the 1915 catalog with a new price sheet and announcing the Model 32 is not available at this time.
These are the real manufacturing dates, 1923 to 1932. The guy in the video is wrong. Also, his broken butt plate is a later style butt plate as used after 1921.

mh53
Beginner

Post by mh53 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Mh53;

A real source of information is William S. Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that made them.
If you pay attention to the youtube video, you will see that his Marlin Model 37 has the Marlin trademark Bullseye in the toe of the stock. That trademark item did not come into use until 1923. Therefore, the gun was made after 1923. I have a near complete collection of Marlin catalogs from 1883 to present, and the Model 37 is not shown in any catalog until 1923. If the Model 37 would have been made between 1913 and 1916 as the video states, it would have been listed in those catalogs. It is NOT in the 1913, 1914 or 1915 Marlin catalog, and the 1916 catalog is the 1915 catalog with a new price sheet and announcing the Model 32 is not available at this time.
These are the real manufacturing dates, 1923 to 1932. The guy in the video is wrong. Also, his broken butt plate is a later style butt plate as used after 1921.

Thank you for the info...I can't find any other info on the Marlin 37...I'll see if I can pickup that book somewhere...