Model 29 N

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

deldillco
Beginner

Model 29 N

Post by deldillco »

I am curious to the approximate manufacture date for the 29-N. The model 29 supposedly was discontinued in 1916/17 but the 29-N seems to carry the mechanical features of the 47 which was only manufactured in 1930-31. Anyone got a spin on this?
Regards,
Doug
Ultona
Marksman

Post by Ultona »

I don't know, but they were made real late, had to be circa 1930. No hepburn holes and NO tang sight holes either. They had the same type of "modern" magazine tube the 47 had too. They also have a large frame like a model 37, which was beefed up over the model 20. The lack of tang sight holes and cheap fixed sights make me think they were produced concurrently with the model 47's. Just a guess, maybe they were a pump .22 they were selling to people at the same time the 47 was being made and "given" away to stock buyers. My 29N has a 3 digit number in the 200 range, but I don't know how high they went on this model. Maybe someone else know more about these.
deldillco
Beginner

29-N

Post by deldillco »

Thanks for the reply. My SN is 10XX. I have seen others in the 2 and 300's. Do you have any great ideas on my Martel question?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

There are no records for the model 29N, unlike the 47 which we know was a stock offering around 1929-32. Some have guessed that the 29N was a "Corporation" gun, that was simply a 29 with a round barrel, made up from leftover parts.
The Hepburn sight holes went away pretty early, but the tang sight holes stayed on most Marlins until WWII. I think the lack of tang sight holes on the model 29N is just a cost cutting item, which might date to that depression era when Marlin even left out their famous "Bullseye" in the stocks, in order to further cut costs.
No way to say for sure, but it's pretty sure they were all made some time after WWI. These unknowns just make it all more frustrating, but fun too!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
deldillco
Beginner

Post by deldillco »

Thanks for the reply. I agree with every thing that you have said. Brophy's 29N production numbers range from 214 to 3918. That would make it more limited in production than the 32 or 47. I'd be curious if the "N" and the 47 were the same production run and carried the same SN series. The reason I am led to suspect this is that the 47 serial number range quoted is 1247 - 5101 and the info that I have been able to glean on the "guns for stock" promo is that the total number of guns redeemed under the promo amounted to about 2269 guns in total and that was split among 10 or 11 models depending on who you read (Brophy or Schwing). I hypothesize that since the 47 was a non-catalog gun they just made them up out of the "N"s as they needed them. So the total combined production of 29N and 47 is around 5101+. By law of averages there would have only been 226.9, or so, 47's made, not 5101 or even 5101-1247 = 3854. What do you think about that idea?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I really don't know what to think on these guns, as we can thoerize, and guesstimate, but in the end it's still unknown. I like to have records, or hard evidence before I comment, or risk the chance that the theory may become information that is passed on as fact.
I'm not disputing that it might be correct, just no way to prove it either way. It is interesting to ponder though.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Martel

Post by Emmett Dunham »

The serial numbers for the Martel, The National Firearms Co. may not be listed with the standard Marlin serial numbers because it is a brand type rifle or shotgun. The best you can do is find a picture and study the difference in some of the models until you spot the same Marlin.

Emmett
barryyoung
Beginner

Re: Model 29 N

Post by barryyoung »

I have Model 29N serial 191. This is my second Model 29N. When I was 14 my mother thought I was on drugs which I wasn't. On one of her regular drug seizure raids of my bedroom she again came up empty handed. She looked on my desk and saw the Model 29N my uncle had given me when I was 8. It was disassembled because the firing pin was broken and I was trying to have the metal shop teacher weld it for me. She went and complained to my father about how I had "wrecked" the girls n that his brother gave to me. He gathered up all the parts and threw them into the trash. The trash collector picked up our trash about an hour before I got home from school. That was the end of my first Model 29N. As an adult, I owned pawn shop where I always hoped I would see another 29N, but never did. When I was 40, I was wandering through Cabela's one day when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted something familiar. It was my second 29N and it is with me now that I am very old.