Early Marlin .22 Autoloaders

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tigweld
Marksman

Early Marlin .22 Autoloaders

Post by tigweld »

To go along with the excellent video made by forum member villafuego, (http://www.marlincollectors.com/forum/v ... =4&t=20894) Here are a few photos of the very early Marlin .22 LR Autoloading Rifles :
Top Middle Bottom
Marlin Model 50 1931-1935, Marlin A1 1936-1940, and the Marlin A1DL 1940-1946

You can see how close the Model 50 and the 1st variation Model A1 resemble each other. A1 stocks also had finger grooved forearms besides the smooth forearm pictured.
Also notice the "New" redesigned stock on the Marlin A1DL pictured in the bottom of the photo.

This photo shows the difference between the Model 50 and A1 magazines.

Both the Model 50 and it's replacement Model A1 were marketed as the "Store Brand" Ranger 34A Autoloading Rifle.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
brantman
Beginner

Re: Early Marlin .22 Autoloaders

Post by brantman »

Hi, I'm new to the forum as of today. I bought a "Ranger 34A" at an auction. It's magazine does not appear to be the original, but it functions (at least for 2 consecutive shots). I'd like to find an original, but understand that Squires-Bingham can be made to work. I'm sure some of you have knowledge of these magazines and substitutes that might be available. I'd appreciate that information. I see some Hi Cap S-B's on Gun Broker for $75 each or a used pair for $100. I won't waste my money until I know they will/can be made to function in this rifle. It is in excellent shape, given its age. 90% blueing remaining. I do observe that the mounting bolt on the 50 and A1's are located between the trigger guard and mag well, while later models are in front of the mag well. Seems like this would be important in identifying which rifle one has. JMO. Brantman in Georgia
brantman
Beginner

Re: Early Marlin .22 Autoloaders

Post by brantman »

I have an old Ranger 34A. It still shoots good and is fairly accurate at short range. Occasionally, it will 'double' fire 2 rounds. Maybe does this once every 3 or 4 magazine loads. Obviously something is worn. Where should I look first and is there another source for parts besides Numrich?