39A/39 Help?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BDI189
Beginner

39A/39 Help?

Post by BDI189 »

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions about a 39/39a ? that i bought at an auction this week.i was trying to find out how old it was and after looking at it i noticed that the barrel says 39-A but the tang says 39 which makes me wonder if it has had a barrel swap on it? it has a serial # of 106** and a star stamped on the tang below the model. can anyone help me with the date on this thing?when i put it in a serial # look up it says it was made in 1885 but i have a had time believing that is true.I can add pics if it would help.

Thanks!!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 39A/39 Help?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BD1189;

Pictures would help, but if the receiver is marked Model 39 with a serial number in the 10,000 range, it will be a gun made sometime between 1921 and 1925, and most likely closer to the 1925 date. The Model 39 was discontined in 1939 when replaced by the 39-A. The Model 39 had an octagon barrel with the model marking on the upper tang, whereas the Model 39-A's had round barrels and the model marking was moved to the barrel. So your assumption that the barrel has been replaced is probably correct. It well could be a factory replacement if the forearm and forearm cap have been replaced woth ones made for the round barrel. This is where pictures would be most helpful.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.