Need Help on A1 Breech Bolt Handle

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sancofw
Beginner

Need Help on A1 Breech Bolt Handle

Post by sancofw »

Hi, I just picked up an A1 a couple of days ago and realized the floppy Breech Bolt Handle was home made. Anyone out there know where I can find one? Numrich doesn't have any & that's the only place I know to look. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
tigweld
Marksman

Re: Need Help on A1 Breech Bolt Handle

Post by tigweld »

First off,welcome to the forum. Here are a couple places you might try for your A1 bolt handle.

Jack First Gun Shop (http://jackfirstgun.com/index.php) If they don't have it, they have 3 machinists on staff that can make up the part for you.

Dick Williams Gun Shop (http://dickwilliamsgunshop.com/Marlin.html) Contact Doug,he might also be able to help you out.

Or, if you happen to have a machinist friend, here is the link to a posting I made last year with photos/line drawing for the
A1 bolt handle (http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... 15&t=16732)

Good luck !!
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
sancofw
Beginner

Post by sancofw »

tigweld, Thanks! This is exactly the information I need. Especially thanks for the link to the drawing, looks like you must have made one at one time.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Glad to help out. :D Back when I joined the forum I had a "store brand" A1/Model 34A minus the bolt handle,so yes I
had to make up one. Had many requests for dimensions,hence the line drawing/photos.
Hope your A1 is back in working order soon.
sancofw
Beginner

Post by sancofw »

Found one at Jack First. Thanks for the help!!
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

That's great news! :D Any questions about installing the handle please feel free to ask.
sancofw
Beginner

Post by sancofw »

It installed pretty easy. Fit is better than the ugly homemade one that was in it, but still hase quite a bit of wiggle to it. Is that normal? Is there a trick to tighten it up a little?

Thanks!
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

The A1 bolt handle measures 3/8" - .375 in diameter, the recess hole in the bolt for the handle measures slightly larger.
There will be a little wiggle,but not in excess. I wonder if the bolt handle plunger might worn or if "Bubba" aka garage gunsmith opened up the recess hole for the homemade bolt handle. The photo shows the bolt handle plunger as it should appear. The plunger should engage the groove in the handle to hold it in position.