Difference between 81 and 781?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Wehwalt
Beginner

Difference between 81 and 781?

Post by Wehwalt »

I recently bought a Western Auto Revelation model 110, which as I'm sure you know is really a Marlin in disguise. According to what I have heard, Western Auto sold both the Marlin 781 and 81 as a Revelation 110. I looked up exploded diagrams of both models and I can't make out which one this is -they both seem very similar. Is there any defining feature that makes one stand out from the other? The only thing on the barrel is "Revelation - Model 110 / Western Auto Supply Co. / Cal. 22 S-L-LR." No serial numbers.

I can post pictures of it later if needed. Thanks in advance!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Difference between 81 and 781?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wehwalt;

According to Brophy, the Western Auto Revelation 10 was the Model 81 and made for Western Auto from 1961 to 1965. This makes sense since apparently your gun does not have a serial number, which all guns made after 1968 are required to have. The Model 781 was made from 1971 to 1988 and will have a serial number.
The difference between a Model 81 and 781 is slight, but the Model 81 has an elongated trigger guard and a grip cap on the pistol grip stock with no checking. The Model 781 has a rounded trigger guard, no grip cap and impressed checking on the stock.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Wehwalt
Beginner

Re: Difference between 81 and 781?

Post by Wehwalt »

Ah, thanks a ton.