Info needed on Model 700

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ProximalMeat
Beginner

Info needed on Model 700

Post by ProximalMeat »

I recived from my Grandfathers collection a Model 700, SN#12464978
,with a micro grove BBL. Can any one tell me anything about this rifle? It is in great shape other than missing the magazine. The rifle has a gold in color triger with gold lettering, and it has the rails for the scope mount along with fixed sights. Any ideas on where to get another magazine, and does any one know how many rounds they normaly took? ALSO does it require a special bore cleaning brush since it has the micro groove barel?

Any help would be great,
Thanks,
Robert
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Robert;

Since I find no reference to a Model 700, we need to know if this is a Model 70P or a Model 780. One is a bolt action rifle while the other is a semi-automatic rifle. Both use clip magazines.
From the serial number, you gun (what ever it is) was made in 1988.
You do not need speical cleaning brushes for your Micro-Groove barrel. Any good brass brush will work. If you rifle is a bolt action, then it is best to remove the bolt and clean it from the breech end.
Numrich Gun Parts Corporation at http://www.e-gunparts.com lists clip magazines for either gun above. They are 7 round clips. You can call Customer Service at 845-679-4867.
I hope this helps. (for now)
ProximalMeat
Beginner

Just in from Marlin.

Post by ProximalMeat »

Regnier,

About 45min after posting this I recived in the mail the Owner's Manual for the "Models: 60,75,99, 70, 99M1, 989M2", along with the "Parts guide for the Model 995 "clip feed semi-automatic .22 cal. rifles"".

I had requested about a week ago from Marlin just the owner's manual for the model 700, but I will take all they have to send.

There people have (Hand Written) on the owners manual, "Model 700 is the same as the Model 70".

And from what I could tell before reciving the manual they looked identical other than the gold triger and lettering, altho I don't know why they don't show up any where. I am going to call Marlin on monday and see if I can find out any information on this little gem that got lost in there books.

The parts listing for the magazine of the Model 995 is: 407346 (7 shot), but on the back of the sheet it list "parts that differ from Model 995". And this includes the parts for the Model 70, 70HC, 70P, and Model 995 "Old Style".

The parts list for the model 70/70HC list (2) seprate models of magazines for the Model 70HC, one is 15 shot (407746), and one is 25 shot (407646), but there is no seprate magazine listed for the model 70.

So I think I'm going to get the Magazine listed for the 995 Part # 407346, as these should be the same, but I will know for sure after monday.

If any one else has the Model 700 with the original magazine could some one tell me if it is the nickel plated or blued.

My model 700 is a semi-auto, and I will try and get some pictures posted so this will no longer be a ghost gun that no one can prove exist... lol...

Thanks again for the help.

Robert
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Robert,

I would have missed that one, too! Never say never - there is always some obscure stuff around. I would like to see your pics!! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Robert;

Since the "Model 700" is hand written in on the owners manual you received from Marlin, I began to wonder if this model gun was made under the umbrella of a "private brand" gun. Many private brand guns were given their own model number by the seller and that is why it is not on the Marlin owners manual. It is late enough that it could have been omitted from Brophy's book or simply by omission. It could have been such a small production run that Brophy did not consider adding it to the already long list of private brand guns.
I have looked at two different cross brand reference guides for private brand guns, but neither list a Model 700. If you contact Marlin, you might ask if this is the case of this gun.
Good luck............
ProximalMeat
Beginner

Just of the phone with Marlin!

Post by ProximalMeat »

These were in fact a "private brand", according to Marlin they were made for "United merchandizing"? or other wise know as BIG-5. And that would make since, given the fact that my grand father lived in California, and I know that Big-5 is or was a store in that state. According to Marlin this rifle was made in 1988, although I didn't get much more info from them. Any thoughts if this could become a collector’s piece?
VegasResident
Beginner

Re: Info needed on Model 700

Post by VegasResident »

I have a model 700 and a friend of mine just bought one. His came with the original manual which includes all part numbers. I know this is a really old thread but I have a PDF scan of the manual if anyone is interested. Unless someone can tell me how to attach a large document to this thread. You can send me an email and I'll email it back to you. It's 6,425kb.
VegasResident
Beginner

Post by VegasResident »

email address for the above manual is p_flynn_vegas@hotmail.com

I should also add that I tried to order a firing pin for the model 700 through Marlin and they had no idea what I was talking about even with the orignal part number. They couldn't even confirm having ever made the model 700. They sent me a free pin for a model 795 and said it should work. Better design than the one for the 700 and it worked like a charm.
VegasResident
Beginner

Post by VegasResident »

If there are any other model 700 owners interested. On 09/14/14 I tested a Champion 25 round magazine made for Marlin models 70/795 in the model 700. First mag 3 rounds in the 8 to 12 round range FTF. The first and last part of he mag did fine. Mags 2-4 worked fine all 25 rounds. Mag 4 was just a straight mag dump. I was using Federal rounds out of a 375 Value pack. Eventually I'm going to find a Pro-Mag 25 round magazine for the 70/795 and try it to.