pre 1881 rimfire

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

miwaymarlin
Beginner

pre 1881 rimfire

Post by miwaymarlin »

I have had my grand-father's old rifle for many years, and finally decided to try to get a little information on this piece. I just registered with this site after reading some of the links. I would appreciate any general info relating to this piece. It is a rim-fire with 30" octagon bbl. With ramp sight on bbl. .412 bore (measured with calipers)

Receivever stamp:
J M MARLIN NEW HAVEN-CONN USA
BALLARD PATENT NOV 5 1861
Sr# 5380

Thanks to all, Mike
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: pre 1881 rimfire

Post by Hunt4em »

Mike,
Are you sure it is a rimfire? Most rimfire Ballards have a three line address on the receiver that include "Patented, February 5, 1875". The bore measurement is puzzling me as well. The #2 model was chambered in .32,.38,.44 Ballard and rarely .44-40 wcf and .32-20 wcf. None of these would fit the bore measurement you show. If it has just the 2 line address and is not rimfire, I would say it is a #4 Perfection model. This model will have the caliber stamped on the top barrel flat just forward of the receiver. The Marlin Ballards were made in models 0-10 with sub models in between like 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 Far west model. I would suggest that you post some pics or a link to some pics. I would also suggest finding a copy of John Dutcher's book, Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle. The book is full of info and pics from the most noted authority on Ballards.

John