Rimfire ammo

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Rimfire ammo

Post by dickaye »

Dear M.C.A.,
What information might be out there on manufacturing rimfire ammo (other than .22). The brass I assume is the big problem. Can it be reused? I don't know if it is something I really want to try, so I thought someone might give me enough information to discourage me and I'd give up the idea. Are their any commercial sources out there? Am I going to need a lathe and a mill?
Richard
Bigdog
Beginner

Re: Rimfire ammo

Post by Bigdog »

While it is technically possible to 'reload' rimfire ammo, it is a very tedious, potentially dangerous and usually inconsistent process, really suited only to a true hardcore survialist situation. It is not a good idea to try. Even finding the correct 'heeled' bullet is nearly impossible.
At this time, September & October of 2013, I am finding ammo becoming available again, from MidwayUSA in my case. As you find it, stock up!

Youtube does have some interesting videos on guys using rimfire brass to make .224 bullet jackets and swaging their own centerfire bullets. Also somewhat tedious and expensive, needing some maching to make the dies, but very doable. Do a google search on "Corbin Bullet Swaging" for a look at the more expensive process and equipment. But some tool-savvy guys are making their own tools.
"Bother" said Pooh,
as he loaded another round.
carbineone
Beginner

Re: Rimfire ammo

Post by carbineone »

They actually used to sell a kit to reload .22 rimfire...