Model 1897 Serial # 1973xx

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

KJohnson
Beginner

Model 1897 Serial # 1973xx

Post by KJohnson »

Purchased this 22 rifle at a gun show. It has a half octagon, half round barrel, is it rare or were there a lot of them built? I have ordered a letter from Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, but will be a couple weeks before i get it. I have a 1892 and a early 39 with the HS, and both have the octagon barrel.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1897 Serial # 1973xx

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

KJohnson;

Of the 43,067 Marlin Model 1897/'97's listed in the factory records that end in December of 1906, only 1,585 are half-octagon in configuration. This includes all barrel lengths of 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 28 inches. Now, there are at least ten (10) more years of production of the Model '97 after 1906, so the real, exact number of guns made with the half octagon configuration will never be known. Never the less, they are not all that common and are desired collectors items on about any model.
I found only one Model 1897 in the 197300 serial number range with a half octagon barrel, and it was shipped from the factory in early 1900.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
KJohnson
Beginner

Post by KJohnson »

Regnier (gunrunner),

Thank you for the info on my 1897. Recieved my letter from Cody today, they had it listed as a octagon barrel. I got a letter from them for my 1892 and it had a error too. Do you think someone would have replaced it? Going to call tomorrow. 84 are the last digits of my serial #. Does that jive with your info? Thank you so much.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

KJohnson;

I checked the factory records and your serial number does show as an octagon barrel. Now, it is possible that the person that recorded the information made a mistake, but too, it is possible that your barrel has been replaced as well.
What are the barrel markings on the top of the barrel. Does is say Marlin Fire-Arms Company or is it Marlin Firearms Company? Does the octagon portion of the barrel fit the forearm with little or not gaps along the sides, and does the forearm cap fit snuggly or is there a gap? Later octagon barrels were lighter in weight and smaller in dimensions, so early guns with later barrels, the wood does not fit properly and the forearm cap does not fit either.
Looking forward to your reply........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
KJohnson
Beginner

Post by KJohnson »

Regnier,

The marking on top of the barrel says Marlin Fire-Arms Co, New Haven CO U.S.A Pat'd Jan,18, 1897, April 2, 1889, August, 12, 1892. There are no gaps in the forearm, the fit is very good. The octagon part of the barrel seems to be the same size as my 1892 .22 and the round part looks as though it was the octagon just turned down. I took it to a couple gunsmiths I know here in Billings MT where I live and they both were of the opinion that it is the original barrel. The Cody people told me that the serial number right after mine #197385 was the one listed as the one with the 1/2 and 1/2 barrel. I wonder if they look at the actual factory record or if they have entered in into a database which could maybe have an error or like you said could have been a mistake at the factory. I sent them pictures of my model #, my serial # and my barrel, so am hoping to here back from them tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your input and your interest. K Johnson