Marlin Model 29

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tyeeman
Beginner

Marlin Model 29

Post by Tyeeman »

Stumbled onto this little rifle. It wasn't expensive and it seems to be OK. Nice wood, barrel is a little rough, action seems OK. But, info is pretty scarce.
In fact, I can't find a serial number.??????? No picture or mention in the Brophy book. Perhaps someone can point me to something to look for. Thanks for your attention. As in the past, it's very much appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 29

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tyeeman;

The Model 29 was a very inexpensive gun when it was made, about $3.00 to $4.00 less than the Model 20 that was offered at the same time. It was listed in the catalogs from 1913 to 1917. If the Model 29 has a serial number, you will probably have to remove the butt stock to find it. If it is serialized, it should be stamped on the side of the tangs, and on the steel butt plate and butt stock. There may have been a few assembled during the war, and just after by the Marlin Firearms Corporation, but nothing is in the old catalogs after 1917. As you said, not much information is available.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Tyeeman
Beginner

Post by Tyeeman »

Well, once again you've stepped in and opened the door. Many thanks! In the wood would be the last place I'd look for a serial number. Nice little rifle, though. Thanks again for your help. I like to do my own research, but I felt somewhat thwarted by this one.Many thanks again. I have no doubt you'll find me on the board again.
chrifle
Marksman 1st Class

Post by chrifle »

the model 29 is indeed covered in Brophy's book - please try page 454-455!?