Model 39A - Really Nice But...

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Tyeeman
Beginner

Model 39A - Really Nice But...

Post by Tyeeman »

Best I can determine, this Model 39A is from the mid-50's. SN under the lever is 3394. Oddly (to me) is has case coloring, a pistol grip stock...but the stock doe now carry the the BullsEye" insert that I thought was a mandatory. Everything matches. But, the information on this is a bit confusing because I see no letter prefix to the SN. Thanks again for the help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 39A - Really Nice But...

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Tyeeman;

Your Marlin Model 39-A was made before the mid-1950's. The last case-colored 39-A's were made prior to 1941 (1939 to 1941). After the war, the Model 39-A had a blued receiver. The first Model 39-A's with the case-colored receivers did not have a letter prefix to the serial number.
There are two (2) variations of the case-colored 39-A's. The quick way to tell them apart is that the first has the flat "S" or lazy "S" style pistol grip stock and squared off lever. The second style has the flat bottomed pistol grip stock and a rounded lever. The lack of a "Bullseye" does not surprise me as there were times Marlin listed due to a shortage of materials, something may be different, like a missing bullseye. If everything matches, do not worry about it.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Tyeeman
Beginner

Post by Tyeeman »

Wow! Many thanks for the input. Frankly, I'm starting to become a bit gun-shy (forgive the pun) about buying anything claimed to be "collectible." Even the Brophy book, as helpful as it might be, can be vague and inconclusive. You've given me sound counsel before and I very much appreciate it. Many thanks!
PS
Forgive the typos. Believe it or not, I'm a writer... also a lousy typist.
Froggigger
Beginner

Post by Froggigger »

I have a Golden Model 39A and cannot find the serial number. I found 22275830 on the tang behind the hammer. Is this the serial number? If so how old is the rifle?the barrel has (JM) on it.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

Yes, that is the s/n.
Your rifle was made in 1978.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS