Marlin 1892 Caliber .22

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Delta-419
Beginner

Marlin 1892 Caliber .22

Post by Delta-419 »

Need parts info? I am assembling an early tube mag .22 with octagon barrel. It appears that the barrel is tapered as the endcap on the forearm does not fit , although it is for an octagon barrel. Were there tapered octagon barrels and if so, where do I find the right end cap? Can the end cap be modified to Fit? Appreciate your help. :(
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1892 Caliber .22

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Delta-419;

Yes, there were tapered octagon barrels, usually a little later than the early Model 1892 manufactured guns. If your barrel has the caliber marking on the left side of the barrel, it is the later style, tapered barrel. The early Model 1892's were not tapered as much as the later style barrels. In most cases, the gun was returned to the factory for a new barrel as many .22 caliber Marlins were.
About any later forearm caps for an octagon barrel should work on your tapered barrel, including a Model 39 forearm cap. Many of the rebarreled .22 caliber guns were rebarreled with Model 39 barrels and will have the Corporation barrel marking. Later Model '97's have the tapered octagon barrels so if you can find a later one of those, it should work too.
If your forearm tenon is tight on the bottom of the barrel and does not move sideways, it really does not matter if you use the forearm cap you have. Once everything is in place, and the screws tightened, it really cannot move if the tenon is tight and does not move now. You will see a little gap, but it really does not hurt anything.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Delta-419
Beginner

Post by Delta-419 »

Regnier, I got it to fit, worked out OK. Fit is not too bad, it was a case of a little file work and a leather hammer. My next challenge was the mag tube, I have decided to use a model 39 tube as it is much less complicated. The one that came in the box of parts with the project gun is, I believe, a 32RF tube, anyway. I now need to figure out how to anchor the tube under the barrel, a model 39 mag tube ring is on order and I hope it will hold it in place. If so, the next thing will be a test run at the range. Thanks for the help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Delta-419;

If you are going to use a magazine tube mounting ring, I think you will find it needs to be mounted further back on the barrel than a magazine tube stud that the Model 1892 would use. If the magazine tube you have that came with the parts will pass through the hole in the forearm cap, then you have the correct tube. They are a pain in the a** to put together if it is completely apart, and you need at least 3 hands to do it.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.