Help Identifying Old Marlin .22?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tigweld
Marksman

Re: Help Identifying Old Marlin .22?

Post by tigweld »

Well, I currently own a A1-DL that looks like a "Bubba" ( home workshop gunsmith) took and butchered the magazine opening in the stock. After comparing stock to my other A1's, looks like a good 1/4 in of wood is missing at the back of the opening. Same problem,magazine will not latch correctly while it is in the stock. When I get this problem corrected I will pass along the solution to you.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

Ok, here are the photos as promised.

First, out of the stock, as I received it. There isn't a magazine latch on there, although there is the threaded hole for it... was I missing a part to begin with?

Second, the magazine and latch as received from Numrich:

Magazine latch screwed into the pre-existing hole:

Magazine attached w/ gun out of stock. It clips in and out just fine like this:

This is what it looks like when I put the whole asssembly into the stock, with the magazine already clipped in... it doesn't really fit. Without the bottom plate screwed on, it's already so tight a fit that I can't remove the magazine.

So I'm not quite sure what to do yet. I haven't made any modifications to the magazine yet. Even if I were to cut away room into the stock, I'd have to open up the bottom plate as well, as the magazine already hits the back of it.

Any thoughts? And Happy New Year!
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

The magazine catch is the part you were missing. From your photos it looks to me that yes,the magazine will attach. But
without doing the modifications it will not allow the front of the magazine to seat correctly in position. DO NOT change the opening in the stock or the magazine plate. I will try and post some photos of the magazine as it should fit to the bottom of the receiver.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

This is how the magazine should fit to the bottom of the receiver. The modifications to a Marlin Model 80 magazine
are needed to allow clearance for the bottom of the A1 bolt.