Help Identifying Old Marlin .22?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

SidewinderX
Beginner

Help Identifying Old Marlin .22?

Post by SidewinderX »

So I just got an old Marlin .22 rifle that had been sitting around at my grandma's house, and I could use some help identifying it.

The only markings are in are on the barrel :
"The Marlin Firearm Co.
New Haven, Conn USA
.22 Long Rifle Only - Smokeless Greased"

and on the sight
"Marbles
Gladstone
Mich USA"

We couldn't find an magazines with it, so I need to identify it so I can try and dig one up. It'd also be nice to find a manual for it so I can disassemble/inspect/clean it... it hasn't been shot for at least 15 years.

Any thoughts?

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Help Identifying Old Marlin .22?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

SidewinderX;

It is a Marlin Model A1, and was made from 1936 to 1940. The original clip held 6 rounds. The A1 originally sold for $12.95 in 1936.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

SidewinderX

Looks like you have a fine example of the Marlin A1C made 1941-1946. This was the (improved) second variation of the original A1. Improvements made to the stock and saftey.

This posting should help you for disassembly/assembly (http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... f=4&t=7576)

As for the magazine,the "Old Style" Marlin Model 80,Model 25 etc. magazine can be modified to work in the A1.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

SidewinderX
This posting will help you with the magazine modification (http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/ ... =15&t=7353)
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

After a closer look at you first photo and seeing the sling swivels and ramped front sight,I believe your rifle is the
A1DL . This was the deluxe version which had a hooded ramped front sight and the short base version of the Marlin 12R
receiver sight. Possibly sometime the receiver sight was taken off and replaced by the Marbles open sight.
The A1DL retail prices: year 1941 $18.20
1942-1944 WW II -no production
1945 $18.45
1946 $24.70
With the steel trigger guard you have on your rifle, I would say yours is of 1941 production. Later production featured a
trigger guard made of plastic.
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

tigweld: I think you might be right, from other photos online it looks like it might be the A1DL. Let me know if a photo of another feature/close up of an area will help confirm which model it is... I don't mind taking more!

If it is the A1DL, would the magazine modification still work? And are the dis-assembly/assembly guides still broadly apply? Anything in particular that I should be looking for when taking apart/cleaning the gun? My other gun experience is with a remington 870 so I imagine this will be a bit different!

Thanks!
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

SidewinderX,

Yes the magazine modification will work on all models of the A1. :)

The disassembly/assembly instructions will also work for the A1DL. Only thing you won't have to do on the A1C/A1DL is remove the safety. Before attempting disassembly the first time, you should read thru the instructions and view the accompanying photo links. If you do have a problem,I will be glad to help.
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

So I found this magazine online: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... ne&catid=0

Looks like it should work without modifications?

I took a quick look at the threads for the magazine modification... As I don't have any magazine, I honestly have no idea what the modification is. I'm not sure what the before and after is -- any chance you diagrammed what the modifications to the magazine are?

I see some Marlin Model 80 magazines for sale online, but they're out of stock pretty much everywhere...
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

SidewinderX,
Yes, that is the magazine that you will need for your A1. NO... :( , it will not work without modification in your A1.
Why you have to do the mod. is to allow clearance for the bottom side of the rifle bolt.
You are adding a 1/32" deep notch 3/16" wide to the top of the back side of the mag. On the top of front side of the mag you have 1/8" radius (groove)
Here is the link to the magazine mod. photos (http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/marlin_clip_mod) in which I have added some highlighted & close-up photos of the modifications. Just click on any photo for a close-uo view.

Magazines in photos are left to right: Original A1, Modified Model 80, Unmodified Model 80

Any problems,I'll be glad to help.
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

Thanks for the response and the updated photos -- it makes a lot more sense to me now with the annotation.

I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the gun this afternoon, thanks for the guides! I'm worried, however, that I may have done something wrong. I can't remember if this was the case before I took it apart, but now the trigger seems to hang after it's been cocked once. I can see what's going on, but I'm not sure what I did or how to fix it. I'll take it apart again tomorrow and put it back together, but any suggestions would be great!

Good: The trigger is seated inside the groove in the bolt.

Bad: The trigger is hung up behind the bolt.

I can pull the bolt back slightly to reset the trigger but I'm not sure if that's the ultimate solution when I actually go out and shoot it.

Thoughts?
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

As I think more about it -- is this just how the semiautomatic function of the gun works? As the bolt slides back to clear the spent casing and load the next round, the trigger resets?
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

You have answered your own question exactly correct :) Yes,on firing the bolt slides back resetting the sear trip,ready for the trigger to be pulled again for the next shot. Looking at your photos from what I can see everything looks correct in the trigger group. One thing I did notice is the trigger pin, that can be tapped in flush. Seems to be sticking out a bit more that it should be.
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

I posted this in the modification thread -- just to make sure it gets posted...

Just a little update -- after moving I finally got around to ordering the magazine. I haven't attempted the mod yet, but the magazine doesn't latch in the rifle (A1DL) as is -- is that one of the things the mod will correct?

And what did you use to do the mods? A dremel and the cutting tools?
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Yes the modifications will correct that problem. Unmodified,the magazine will hit the bottom of the bolt surface, not allowing it to engage the magazine catch. The tools, Dremel type grinder,1/8" shank small grinding wheels and needle files. Actually in my job I have air powered "pencil type" grinders which I use.
As stated before if you run into problems just let me know.
SidewinderX
Beginner

Post by SidewinderX »

Hey,

So I haven't attempted the mod yet, couple questions (pictures to follow once I get home). The replacement magazine I ordered came with a new magazine latch. I removed the assembly from the stock and attached the new latch (there wasn't a latch there to replace, just the threaded hole). With the assembly out of the stock, the magazine latches in just fine.

When I put the assembly back into the stock, the magazine no longer would latch into the stock. I'm not sure if the modification will solve this issue.

I'll add photos later. Any thoughts?