Marlin A1 extractor removal instructions

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tigweld
Marksman

Marlin A1 extractor removal instructions

Post by tigweld »

http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/marlin_a1_extractor Well as requested by some users on this site,here are some photos of the removal process of the Marlin A1 extractor. I will be posting detailed instructions soon. You will need a bench vise,a small file,a small thin blade screwdriver,a piece of leather to pad the vise jaws,Scotchbrite/sandpaper,a staking punch,ballpeen hammer. A bench vise of some sort is a must for this job. Click on any photo for a closeup view.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
bantam9
Beginner

Re: Marlin A1 extractor removal instructions

Post by bantam9 »

Tigweld,
Thanks for photos. Clears things up a lot. Not sure what pic 118 with the ballpeen hammer is for? Prevent extractor from coming out??
I needed to see pic 113. Orientation of components iside bolt. Will wait for your instruction page. Thanks a million.

Joe
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Picture 118 shows my staking punch in the area of the "factory" staking mark. You are spot on your description of what the staking of the edge of the extractor groove opening is for,prevent the extractor coming out of the extractor groove. :)
Will try and post the instuctions tonight.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

Just got done posting comments and instuctions with the photos on the PBase site. Just click on a photo for a close-up view
then scroll down for my comments/instructions (http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/marlin_a1_extractor) If you have questions I'll be glad to help.
bantam9
Beginner

Post by bantam9 »

Tigweld,
I attempted my re build just from your photos--should have waited for your text.
Got it desembled, and cleaned out.
Previous owner must have tried a repair, and I figure lost a bunch of pieces while desembling. No original pieces were left in the whole bolt-extaractor area. They used epoxy and a thin metal, cut to fit, to act as an extractor. Didn't work to well, as u can imagine.

Cleaned out hidden area between bolt hole and extractor area with drill bit attatched to drill--bad move as I drilled straight through into bolt handle area. Thinking I just ruined the whole bolt assembly, I figured what the heck, finish trying to replace all parts. Got everything in, (I may have put in extractor plunger upside down though). Pressure from spring seems to hold the bolt in place, as well as the extractor in too. I did not peene extractor in place as your last photo indicates either, but I did get it back together.

I managed to fire one round, to firing off maybe 100 rounds, and all seems well. I will peene bolt to make sure extractor can not come out.
Would you remove all pieces to make sure of extractor plunger orientaion before peening extractor in place, or leave well enough alone since it does seem to fire???

i think I lucked out that it seems I didn't render the whole bolt unusable due to drilling through hidden extractor area into bolt hole. And I managed to not loose all my pieces due to not penning in extractor while test firing. this old thing seems as it's on it's way to being usable. Couldn't have done it without your help. thank you for taking the time to post all the photos, and text. I didn't know where to start before finding your posts/this site.

Would you remove all pieces to make sure of extractor plunger orientaion before peening extractor in place, or leave well enough alone since it does seem to fire???

thanks again,

Joe
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

bantam9,
Sounds like you have all your parts in correctly after the results of you test firing. Sorry about your mishap with the 1/8 inch drill. Yes,you only have to twist the drill between your fingers. But as you said a previous "fix" I can see could have made some extra work for you.
I think it is safe to go ahead and stake/peen the edge of the extractor groove.
If the 1/8 hole thru to the bolt handle area becomes a problem,I think I know a welder who can fix the problem. ;)
bantam9
Beginner

Post by bantam9 »

Tigweld,
I'll peene the extractor in, and keep an eye on the bolt for any issue. Good to know the bolt may be able to be welded if needed. So far so good.
Thank you for all your help again.

Joe
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

bantam9,
If you do remove the bolt handle now, remove it carefully and slowly. I"m afraid if you don't, you'll have your bolt plunger,springs etc flying across the room. :/