Marlin No. 20 Deluxe?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Pirateer2007
Beginner

Marlin No. 20 Deluxe?

Post by Pirateer2007 »

Did they ever make a deluxe model of the No 20?

I just picked one up that has a very beautiful stock which has somewhat worn checkering. The forend also has very nice wood with the same checkering. It has a thin brass front sight with a nice bead on top. The rear sight is a "V" shaped lay down sight and it has a tang mounted peep sight. I have never seen another rifle set up like this one as most of the No. 20 rifles I've seen have straight stocks and ribbed forends.

The story goes that the gentleman I received this rifle from got it from the Butler Estate (Annie Oakley). I know there is no way to document this, so it is just hearsay and nothing more. Also, I know there are no factory records to check if this is truly a special order rifle, so here I am. Like I said at first, I'm just wondering if Marlin ever made a "Deluxe" version of the No. 20. Also, the S/N is 95XX and this is stamped on the tang as well as inside the butt stock.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
-Adam
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin No. 20 Deluxe?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Adam;

Yes, there were (are) deluxe Marlin Model 20, .22 caliber pump action rifles. In fact, there are factory engraved examples with engraving of grades 1, 2 and even a number of grade 10 guns. Some of them are listed in the Marlin Dealer "Bargain" sheets. These were guns Marlin had in inventory and discounted to the dealers in an attempt to reduce the inventory. Some of these guns were made for exhibitions and returned to the factory, while others were guns ordered and never delivered for one reason or another. Some were just guns that were "over produced" like a number of Model '94 carbines for the Chilean Police and were so marked.
About any option was available to the Model 20 that was available to any lever action gun, except for a pistol grip stock. All Model 20's will have a straight grip stock. Octagon barrels were the only style barrel available as well according to catalogs.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Kraazy3
Beginner

Post by Kraazy3 »

I have a Marlin no 20 .22 pump serial no 553 that has WRA Co engraved on the receiver. Do you know anything about it or know where I can find out more info on it. Any info would ge appreciated. I am kraazy3@yahoo.com --Ron C --thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ron;

Back in the day, companies often traded firearms for experimental purposes. Winchester made ammunition, and would often use other companies guns for trial and operation of their ammunition in the competitions products. I have seen other WRA Co. marked Marlin products.
These guns are not common, as most companies would have needed only one model or caliber for trials. Usually, these guns are in pretty good condition since they were not used for hunting.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
flatheadrick
Beginner

Post by flatheadrick »

If you go to James D Julia's web sight and view its fall 2016 you will find two examples of deluxe engraved Marlin model 20s. Having seen few come up at auction over the years it appears that relatively few exist.