Marlin 81 Shooting high and can't bring it down.

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

greenebt1
Beginner

Marlin 81 Shooting high and can't bring it down.

Post by greenebt1 »

I just aquired a 12R for my 81 and immediatly installed it. The sight went on with no problems, but when I fired a few rounds through it to sight it in it shoots tight groups about 3" high of the bull. The sight will not adjust any lower. I've fired and tweaked this weapon til I was spouting very colorful words all over my backyard. I'm a combat vet and have become intimatly familar with weapons so this is very frusturating to say the least. The factory semi-buckhorn worked great. Was there a front sight that was supposed to match the 12R or is there another solution. Chances are it's something simple that I should've caught, but I'm stumped.
greenebt1
Beginner

Re: Marlin 81 Shooting high and can't bring it down.

Post by greenebt1 »

Never mind I fixed it. Its a nail driver now.
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

That answer is not gonna get it. Tell us what you did to fix it.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
greenebt1
Beginner

Post by greenebt1 »

I replaced the front sight with a marbles front sight .500 height. The rear elevation is just under zero with that front sight. That got it in the black, and then I fine-tuned the front sight with a brass drift til I got the windage in the center. Didn't take much. Rear sight windage is still at zero. Calling it a nail driver was a little bit of an exaggeration, but it's better than it was and it's in the black. I'm thinking about reconditioning the barrel, but I don't have any experience with that. Don't even know if that will do any good on a weapon this old. Any suggestions?