Henry barrels

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

dickaye
Marksman

Henry barrels

Post by dickaye »

Now everyone is going to know why there's the word "beginner" after my name. So here I go. Henry rifles, the 1860 variety or the remakes for that matter; How come all the barrels look like they have 8 inches of barrel added on at the end?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Henry barrels

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

That portion of the barrel swings aside after the magazine tube follower is slid forward into that section of the magazine tube and barrel. After the follower is in that section, there is a small screw that holds the follower up into that sectioin, and then the cartridges can be "dumped" into the magazine tube. The barrel section is then swung back into place, and the follower and spring then apply the pressure to the cartridges to go into the cartridge lifter when the action is manipulated.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Rick,
Was there ever a problem with the two barrel portions aligning incorrectly? Also, assuming the Henry barrels were grooved verses smooth bore, were both barrel portions grooved? It seems like the end piece could have been ungrooved without having too much of a negative impact. Makes me wonder if the two barrel parts were manufactured independently or together and then "cut." Lastly, at least for now, were Henry Rifle parts interchangeable or were they hand fitted?
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

"Beginner" refers to how many post you have. The ranking changes as you post more. I have no clue what the breaks are.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

dickaye wrote:Rick,
Was there ever a problem with the two barrel portions aligning incorrectly? Also, assuming the Henry barrels were grooved verses smooth bore, were both barrel portions grooved? It seems like the end piece could have been ungrooved without having too much of a negative impact. Makes me wonder if the two barrel parts were manufactured independently or together and then "cut." Lastly, at least for now, were Henry Rifle parts interchangeable or were they hand fitted?
The actual barrel on the end dose not move it is just cover over the end of the barrel. The barrel is all one piece.
RK
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Richard;

Road King is correct in that the outer section moves and the rifled bore is one piece to the end of the barrel. The Henry rifle is a very interesing study. Everything was serial numbered, even the screws. A very good bood was written a couple of years ago by a very knowledgeable collector by the name of Les Quick. His Henry Rifle book originally sold for about $100.00 but is a great reference book. Les died after writting it and just before it was published.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

The Les Quick book is an excellent book on the Henry Rifle and also the THE HISTORIC HENRY RIFLE by Wiley Sword is another great reference book. On the later Henry Rifles not all the screws and parts were serial numbered. Les spent a lot of time going into detail with great photos of this famous repeating rifle.
Road King
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Ah Ha! I own "The Historic Henry Rifle" book by Wiley Sword. I bought it about a year ago, stuck it in my little library and never looked at it. Actually, I never even opened it......... So I guess I understand. I'm surprised there's not a picture in the book that shows the loading tube open. On page 36-37, on the top picture with an iron frame, it appears that the barrel cover and the barrel are not perfectly aligned. I assume if a fellow shot it in that condition, the front site would be off. Most of the muskets in that time period had forearms or actually one piece wood from butt to barrel end. Henry probably just wasn't sure how to attach a wood handle up front in his early design. During battle the barrel must have got uncomfortably hot. Did anyone ever come out with an "after market" device to overcome the "hot barrel" problem, other than just waiting 6 years for Winchester to take care of that problem? I don't recall, but I think Maynards also didn't have a forearm. Someone must have received a patent for a "forearm design." Who might that have been?
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

I have been turning a few pages and I have got to take some time out and read this Henry book! I'll be back with questions later............................
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Not that we don't want to help you but your questions on the Henry Rifle might be better suited over at this site :wink:
http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/index.php
Road King
dickaye
Marksman

Post by dickaye »

Yes, I book marked that site. Thank you very much........................