Aprox. year of manufacture?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

FieroCDSP
Beginner

Aprox. year of manufacture?

Post by FieroCDSP »

Hi folks. My friend wanted me to see what I could dig up about his .22 rifle (he's not all that gun-savvy).

It's a MArlin mo. 81-DL (exact markings "MODEL 81-DL-22 CAL-S-L-LR" with a horizontal line with a center dot following it).
23" barrel w/ shallow rifling (micro grooved?) with 5 lands.
Ramp front sight with brass bead and 2 mounting screws. Pinned windage but maybe be after-market. Otherwise it's a dovetail.
Folding notch sight (leaf with stepped ramp, both steel)
aluminum magazine rod with steel follower
No S/N, no letter markings.
2 piece trigger, bottom is stainless.
sliding safety with 2 screw "detent spring"
tapped for on left side (for peep sight?)
Stock is unremarkable except it has a hard plastic butt-plate.
The poor thing has a lot of light surface rust and the stock is badly cracked down the length of the forward grip, all the way back to the trigger guard. I know it's pre-68, but it seems older. I've ordered a stock for an 81-TS for it (hope it fits or can be made to), but it's mainly a plinker. Just looking for some rough history on it.
Anything else that might help me describe it to you, let me know.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Aprox. year of manufacture?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

FieroCDSP;

The Marlin Model 81-DL was made from 1941 to 1964. Since the barrel has only 5 lands and grooves, it is not a Micro-Groove barrel as there will be 16 lands and grooves in a Micro-Groove barrel in .22 caliber. That indicates that the Model 81-DL in question was made prior to 1954 as all .22 caliber Marlin rifles received the new, patented Micro-Grove rifling in 1954.
To get any closer to a date of manufacture, you might need to post a photograph so it can be compared to the Marlin catalog pictures of the era.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.