Marlin 39 Lever Action

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

efn
Beginner

Marlin 39 Lever Action

Post by efn »

I recently purchased a Marlin 39, Lever action, 22 cal. This gun has an octagon barrel, burled walnut stock, narrow fore piece, iron sights, heat treated receiver, star engraved on tang, serial no. S6XX. This gun literally appears to have never been used and is in beautiful condition. I took it to the range and ran about 50 rounds through it and the operation was flawless. My question is, goes this gun have any collector value and would it be diminished if I were to mount a scope? Can anyone tell when it was manufactured?

Thanks,

efn
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 39 Lever Action

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Efn;

A Marlin Model 39 with an "S" serial number prefix would have been made between 1925 and 1932. With the low three digit serial number, most likely in 1925.
Now, it is a collector item, and if you drill and tap the receiver to mount a scope on it, just figure you cut the value in half. That gun was not made to mount a scope on, and if you want a gun with a scope to shoot, go buy a new one. Do not ruin a good collectors item and take another quality item off the collectors market by mounting a scope on it.
This gun was made prior to high speed ammunition, so do not shoot modern, high speed ammunition in it. You should only shoot target or standard velocity ammunition in a pre-1932, .22 caliber Marlin of any kind.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
efn
Beginner

Post by efn »

Thanks for the quick reply, you confirmed my thoughts about the scope. I will not be changing the gun at all.
efn
Beginner

Post by efn »

This rifle has a beautiful burled walnut stock, to my untrained eye, it appears to be a perfect fit. TYhe fore piece appears to be standard walnut, would this indicate the stock is an aftermarket addition? I have seen reference to "2X-3X" wood in literature about this gun, what does that mean? Also, is there a fix for the standard velocity ammo restriction, can the bolt be changed, are the parts available?

Thanks,

efn
Sirwill
Beginner

Post by Sirwill »

I own a Marlin original golden 39m 22cal #23273537. I have no intentions of ever selling the rifle but was wondering its year and value? The gun is near mint condition a true 9 out of 10.

Thank you...
stubbfarmer
Beginner

Post by stubbfarmer »

1977 $550-$700 :D