Marlin Model 81

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

TinCan
Beginner

Marlin Model 81

Post by TinCan »

I have an old Marlin Model 81 that I'm trying to date. It has a 22" barrel, a single piece barrel/tube mag band with the ramp front sight that is held on by a single hex screw on top and an extremely small pin that holds it to the tube mag (?) which doesn't appear on the Numrich parts list. It has a forged golden trigger as evidenced by some slag. The barrel is marked "THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A" with "MODEL 81 - MICRO-GROOVE BARREL-.22 CAL. S.-L.-LR." and there is an "AL" on the left side of the barrel right at the stock line just infront of the rear sight dovetail. It is drilled and tapped on the left rear for a peep sight which appears to never have been installed on the rifle as the stock has not been inleted for it. The inside mag tube is brass with a steel/metal plunger. It has a black walnut military style (?) stock. It has the 80-78 Style A trigger guard. Both the trigger guard and combination barrel band/front sight appear to be made out of a white/lt. gray metal. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on completely redoing the rifle but if it has some sort of collector value then I may just hold off. Additionally, which Marlin peep sight fits this rifle and is there any aftermarket (Lyman/Williams) that will fit it. Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Model 81

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TinCan;

The "AL" stamping on the side of the barrel indicaes your Model 81 was made in January of 1968.
The proper Lyman receiver sight for your Model 81 would be the Number 57, code 57MR and the Williams would be the 5D, code 5D 81, Redfield made the Numbers 70 & 80 receiver sight, letter code U for the Model 81. The Marlin sight is the Marlin No. 12R.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
TinCan
Beginner

Post by TinCan »

Thanks for the quick reply and info. Does anyone know if the combination barrel band/front sight is consistent with 1968? I've seen quite a few pictures online but none of them have this setup so, it makes me wonder if the barrel was replaced at one time because all of the other parts to the gun fit into the old/original category per the Numrich parts list? My concern is if I would have to replace the front sight after installing a rear peep sight, how would I attach it to the rifle?
TinCan
Beginner

Post by TinCan »

If the barrel is dated to January 1968 shouldn't the rifle have a serial number on it?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TinCan;

The Gun Control Act of 1968 was not enacted until October of 1968. Marlin did not serialize many of their less expensive guns until the enactment of the GCA of 1968, when all firerams manufactured required serial numbers and records maintained. So, since your gun was made in January of 1968, it was made without a serial number and was perfectly legal at the time.
The type of front sight you describe is not shown in the 1968 catalog, but it is in the 1969 catalog. So, either your gun is right, and the catalog wrong (which may be if Marlin changed the design to your type of sight after the catalog went to press) or the barrel may have been changed. If you wish to change the front sight, you may have to consult a gunsmith for ideas.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
TinCan
Beginner

Post by TinCan »

Thanks for the info. Well, I guess I'll just go with a scope on it for the time being.