Marlin Model 39?

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Are you sure it reads, "Model 39" on the barrel, and not "Model 39-A" The serial number would indicate a 1947 vintage model 39-A, not a 39. I would also guess it is a round barrel, which is not a model 39, as all 39's had octagon barrels.
The model 39A was a developement of the series of Marlin lever action rifles, beginning with the model 1891 Marlin. The 39a was first introduced in 1939, and has been continuously in production, except for the era of WWII, 1942-1944. There haven't really been any changes in the basic profile of these lever action .22's since the first 1891. They retain the same look, although early model 1891, and 1892 guns were not takedowns, all models since then are.
Your 1947 vintage 39-A has the early Ballard style rifling, and was drilled and tapped for a tang sight, and receiver sight. These three features are unique to the 1947-early 1950's 39A's. Later guns had only the receiver sight holes, and scope mount holes.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

You are absolutely right. I took a better look at the markings and it is a 39-A. Thank you for the information. I am just really impressed by the look and feel of it. I am hoping to get out at fire it soon. The guy I got it from said that the last time he fired it was two years ago, and that he had no problems with it. (I know I sound like a real newbie, but I really want to take care of this rifle). I'm curious what type of amunition people would recommend shooting in this rifle?