Mod. 39 CBS Removal

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

wesuredont
Beginner

Mod. 39 CBS Removal

Post by wesuredont »

How do you remove the cross bolt safety from a Mod. 39 ? It's not installed the same way as on a 336 or 1894. Looks like the detent spring & ball are held in place with a pin rather than with a set screw like on it's big brothers. Any ideas ?
marlin 1893
Marksman 1st Class

Re: Mod. 39 CBS Removal

Post by marlin 1893 »

If you remove the cross-bolt saftey you will not have a saftey on the Model 39.The half cock on the 39
is (not a safety)
wesuredont
Beginner

Post by wesuredont »

I and those around me seem to have survived for a bit more than 50 years without any of these lawyer induced "improvements" (abominations) on all my Marlins. Having finally found a 39 TDS after a long search, I intend to remove the CBS and replace it with a faux screw. The rebounding hammer has already been dealt with. What I am seeking is information regarding the removal of the CBS from someone who may have already done so. Any direction would be much appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wesuredont;

There used to be "kits" available online to do just what you want to do. You may have to do a GOOGLE search to find one now.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
wesuredont
Beginner

Post by wesuredont »

A fellow by the name of Clyde Ludwig offers a CBS replacement "screw", and I have one that I can make work. The problem is removing the existing assembly. It's not installed the same way as on the 336 and 1894.
fataboo
Beginner

Post by fataboo »

If you go to Rimfire Central and either PM or e-mail Gizzy he has a lot of fixes on 39s'. Look for him on Marlin lever action posts. Hope this helps, Bob
He died so that others may live.
wesuredont
Beginner

Post by wesuredont »

Thanks Bob. I'll try to find him.