.22 Mag/.17 HMR Lever Action

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rastus
Beginner

.22 Mag/.17 HMR Lever Action

Post by Rastus »

Is Marlin ever going to make another .22 Mag in lever? Sure would be nice to have one that you could swap barrels on between .22 Mag and .17 HMR. Something full-bodied...a little more like a 336 then a 39. Whaddya think?

Am I out on a limb here? I've got the Winchester 9422....and it sure is nice but it's still a bit smallish....I want something that matches my 6 ft frame and doesn't look like a tinker toy, has gotta thicker barrel for a little more inherent accuracy. And...I just don't care for the receiver design on the Henrys so.....here's hoping Marlin has a market for something like this.

Just wondering what ya'll think.

Have A Great Day,
Ken
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. A new model of bolt-action with interchangeable barrels, maybe, but I seriously doubt a new model lever - too great a cost to tool up for a perceived small market. Never say never, though. SW
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't think the lever action in general is a good format for the .17 to get maximum accuracy. The model 1894 would be the best choice, but a takedown with extra barrels would be pretty expensive on this format. I'd guess the cost would be an extra 20% for one gun, and another 30% for every extra barrel setup. The lever action requires a complete magazine, forearm, and barrel with sights for each extra barrel in order to function as a takedown. That's just more than the average gun buyer wants to spend. Most would choose to buy a separate bolt action .17 for less money.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Depending on whether you like a levermatic, 1/4 throw, The JC Higgins, model 44DLM, is a Marlin levermatic in 22Mag I agree with the rest, unless Davidson's or someone else does a special run I just can't see Marlin putting one out, even then doubt it would be a two barrel variety.
GBOT, GBUSA