Fryeburg500
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 47 - research project

Post by Fryeburg500 »

I have the following Marlin's:
No.47 - S/N-2825
No.47 - S/N-4900
Mod.47 - S/N-2444

Hope this helps. Anyone wanting to get rid of their No.47 or Mod.47 Marlin, please feel free to contact me. Thanks.
.22crazy
Beginner

Post by .22crazy »

I've had ser. # 1980 for several years and have been following this project. It has excellent case colors and overall ~95% or more I guess. Anyone with a like new rifle? Receiver to end of uncrowned barrel is 21 7/16". Front sight is dovetailed steel bead. Rear sight is probably replaced and is missing the elevator. Were all interested in the history and lore of this model and I felt compelled to participate. I'm sorry that I do not own an outlier to expand upon what is known. Is anyone compiling the data as to number of rifles acknowledged and condition so far? Any sales data, etc? It's a lot of fun to collect something so rare, with such mystery, and then uncover the clues to reveal what is seemingly the the facts.
flatheadrick
Beginner

Post by flatheadrick »

Chrifle,

In reply to your 47 research project: I just bought a 47 last week at the Winchester show in Cody Wyoming. Its serial number is 321. Its tang is marked in 2 lines, the first reading "Marline" and the 2nd "No. 47". Crown is flat. Sights are fixed with front sight perhaps once having had an ivory bead.

Should I have omitted anything you need for your survey let me know and I will try and provide it. My email is richardschreiber@cox.net.

Hopefully, you will in the future up date us as to your findings. Thank you.

rick schreiber
flatheadrick
Beginner

Post by flatheadrick »

I just noticed that in above data that I supplied the serial number of my model 47 should have been identified as 3210, not 321.
Yoda57
Beginner

Post by Yoda57 »

Just obtained. No 47 serial #2751. Barrel 22" crown to breach face. Mag tube 17 7/8. Sights fixed. Kinda beat up but salvagable.
Offshoreaj
Beginner

Post by Offshoreaj »

Mine is SN 3834. Fixed rear, brass bead front sights. Marlin No.47, script, 2 lines. Missing the mag follower; anybody know where to get parts, or will I have to get gunsmith to fab a new one? Just found this forum, great info on this rifle, thanks!
scicely
Beginner

Post by scicely »

I purchased a Marlin Model No 47 a few years ago from a local dealer. The one I have says Model No_47 in script. It has fixed front and rear sights and I believe the barrel length is the standard 23". It does have a diamond shape carved into the stock that is filled with cross hatching. The serial number is 4907. It has a crescent butt plate in steel. I hope this help with your study.
sm5759
Beginner

Post by sm5759 »

I have just the receiver for a model 47 that I have laying in a drawer awaiting parts for a rebuild.

4883 serial number, Marlin No 47 in script.
Lucky1
Beginner

Post by Lucky1 »

I just inherited a Marlin No.47 from my dying father-in-law.
It has a fixed sight and the number is 2608. I will post more if I can find out how his Dad got the rifle.
squirrelhunter
Beginner

Post by squirrelhunter »

SERIAL# 33xx
TANG MARKING: Marlin No_47 in script
REAR SIGHT Adjustable (Savage Arms)
FRONT SIGHT Ivory bead
BARREL/MAG TUBE distance (in. or cm.) standard barrel
Excellent condition, normal wear from use on stock. No missing parts, in working order.
chevy63
Beginner

Post by chevy63 »

I just bought a model 47 at a local gunshow. It is in great shape and has features as the rest of the guns mentioned. My gun is serial # 3071
Glass1987
Beginner

Post by Glass1987 »

I own a Marlin Model 47 as well. It is in excellent condition and I have a link below to the photos. Serial number 2804

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9mkdojvqwmlw ... jO8Xa?dl=0

Anyone know a value on these? Feel free to text me with any info anyone has as I am researching. 309-716-5141
sneekpete
Pro-Marksman

Post by sneekpete »

SERIAL# 4519
TANG MARKING: Marlin No 47 in script
REAR SIGHT fixed
FRONT SIGHT fixed - may have had a bead?
BARREL/MAG TUBE distance 3.125" from end of barrel to end of mag tube (with inner tube in place)
BARREL LENGTH is 22" measured with a cleaning rod - face of bolt to end of barrel.
Curved butt plate is stamped with the serial number on the inside.
I have photos of all of this to share, but unable to on this outdated website.....
darrell randolph
Beginner

Post by darrell randolph »

i have a marlin#47 in 99% #27xx i would like to know how to take the forearm wood off.i have tryrd to contact someone from the marlin collectors
assoc. i guess i dont know how. i can be reached at gracegdr7170@comcast.net
darrell randolph
Beginner

Post by darrell randolph »

i will be happy to explain if i know what to explaine, i have a few marlins,they are new to me as far as collecting,most of my stuff is winchester
i am not a jackleg i'm just trying to find out how to take the forearm wood off i watched the vidio on the model 20,its not the same unless i missed
something.
thanks for anybodys help
Darrell