Model 37 Barrel

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

hammerdrop
Beginner

Model 37 Barrel

Post by hammerdrop »

I have a model 37 22LR with serial # 577, However the barrel does not seem to match the action. The Patient date is March 4th 1908 2 Patients, the problem is I can't find a model 37 with a Octagon barrel, did Marlin make a 37 with a Octagon barrel? I have found only round barrels. Can you please help me.

Hammerdrop
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 37 Barrel

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hammerdrop;

The patent dates you mention are correct for the Marlin Model 37. What company marking does this barrel have? Is it Marlin Firearms Company or Marlin Firearms Corporation?
All listings I found state the Model 37 had a round barrel only, but that is not to say an octagon barrel could have been utilized at some point since your gun is a rather low number. The Model 47 had the same barrel markings, but was available as a round barrel only as well. You just may have one of those oddities whereas the company was using any and all parts they could find that were on hand to make up guns.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
hammerdrop
Beginner

Post by hammerdrop »

The barrel reads The Marlin Firearms Corporation, New Haven Conn. Patient date March 24th 1908, 2 Patients. In my original post I had March 4th, :| It is possible the barrels have been switched correct? or do you think it was built this way? I looked through some literature and found nothing including an Ad from Marlin which said the Octagon Barrel was an option. What do you think?

Hammerdrop
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hammerdrop;

I did assume that you had missed the 2 in the patent date, so that is why I answered the way I did. With the Marlin Firearms Corporation, anything was possible. They were trying to get started in business after WW I with limited resources, and used any and all parts on hand to build guns. This is why we see some odd things that do not fit into the catalog descriptions..
For instance, I just picked up a Marlin Model 30-G in 20 gauge with a Corporation barrel, that is not supposed to exist. The only exposed hammer, pump action shotguns listed in the catalogs after 1922 was the Model 42-A. There was the Model 49, it was not a cataloged item, but a stock option gun made up of left over parts by the Marlin Firearms Company after 1928.
So, it may be possible that the octagon barrel in your Model 37 is original since it has the correct patent dates. The Marlin Firearms Corporation used a lot of parts left over to assemble guns, and that octagon barrel may be one of them. Since your gun has a very low serial number, it may have been one of the first Model 37's made up, and the company simply used what they had at the time. Unfortunately, there are no records, so we may never know for certain...........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
hammerdrop
Beginner

Post by hammerdrop »

Thanks again for the information, I do understand as I have found a number of manufacturers which did this in the early years of certain production runs. I have a 1912 Colt Police Positive 32 frame with a New Police 32 barrel and stamped B. Which makes it a second run because of a flaw or something, or some were shipped out of the country and were made up of what ever they had left over. It's old, it's worn and it's patina-ed but it still works. But like you said it was a common practice. Thanks again.

Hammerdrop
BobfromBethany
Beginner

Post by BobfromBethany »

I also have a Model 37 with an octagon barrel. My s/n is 7188. This gun has been in my family forever and was purchased in New Haven. I don't believe the barrel was ever changed and there is always the chance it was made special at the Marlin factory in New Haven. A friend with connections at Marlin had the factory museum restore this gun around 1965 (the factory had moved to North haven by that time). It always had a problem with the firing pin wearing down and not firing. I picked up a firing pin online about 20 years ago. I had to do some filing, etc to make it fit but now all is well. I've always liked the lines of the Model 37, a very narrow, delicate design. Too bad marlin closed their CT doors and moved out of State.