Model 100 J.C. Higgins 103.18 Trigger

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Flingwing 1969
Beginner

Model 100 J.C. Higgins 103.18 Trigger

Post by Flingwing 1969 »

I got my 103.18 for Christmas in 1953, when I was 7. I wore that puppy out shooting it and it will no longer remain cocked - been that way since 1962 or so. I'd like to get her back into operation so my grandsons can use it. It appears that the cocking sear on the trigger is worn down and that is why it won't remain cocked. While there is some wear on the bolt, it does not appear to be enough to account for the cocking issue. I had a line on a trigger but the auction became too costly to justify for just a trigger - Numrich is sold out. I'm thinking of welding a bit of metal to the trigger tang and filing it back down to size. Maybe I can just file a bit off the sear to create a better hook? Anyone have an idea? Anyone have a photo of a new/unworn trigger?
bgl0b6
Beginner

Re: Model 100 J.C. Higgins 103.18 Trigger

Post by bgl0b6 »

I may have a trigger for your gun,I will check tonight....Mike
bgl0b6
Beginner

Post by bgl0b6 »

I have looked everywhere,cant find it,sorry
talegate
Beginner

Post by talegate »

I have exactly the same issue; mine is a Marlin 100, I think made between mid-30's and 1960. I need a trigger too. Anyone have one, please yell.
StewTrey
Beginner

Post by StewTrey »

I know I'm probably spitting into the wind on this one, but I just recently ran into the same problem. Did you ever find a solution, or can anyone else help me out?
Mravengr
Beginner

Post by Mravengr »

Hey fellas! I've got a post about this very subject over at MarlinOwners forum http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/repai ... -18-a.html, but instead of the trigger no longer remaining cocked, with my Higgins, whenever I shove the bolt forward, the sear will drop into the groove in front of the cocking plunger and hang there, causing the plunger to be forced back as I shove the bolt forward. If I continue to push the bolt forward, the sear eventually slips out of the groove and the cocking plunger slams forward, effectively firing the rifle without me having to pull the trigger. I'm also looking for a picture of a trigger in good shape so I can make repairs to mine, but so far, have not found one that isn't worn. I'll post pictures here when (and if) I figure out how, but there's pictures on the other forum that I linked above if you want to jump over there and take a look. Thanks!
Mravengr
Beginner

Post by Mravengr »

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/team- ... nfo-2.html
Here's a link to what my trigger sear looks like. Pretty sure it's either severely worn or someone's been at it with a file or grinder. Need to know what the correct geometry for that sear looks like so I can repair. Thanks.