Marlin/Glenfield 1976 Model 60

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jstanfield103
Beginner

Marlin/Glenfield 1976 Model 60

Post by jstanfield103 »

I am not really in to semiauto loaders, but decided to get one to put a scope on for a little change up once in a while. I do not really care for the 10/22 and hoping that Ruger brings back the model 60 one day. But i bought one off of GB which turns out to be a 1976 model I believe due to the serial # first two letters of 24. Love the feel of the model 60 trim and lean little 22lr.

When I picked her up from the LGS I tore her straight down and could not believe how dirty she was. She was definitely used. Buffer and everything looks good in her though. I did use the Nickle and Penny trick on the ejector and a through cleaning and oiling she looks good. I then cut the LOP down to 12" due to my shorter body configuration. Added a set of sling swivels, but it's been so long since I've had a model 60 that I had forgotten how flimsy the magazine tube is on one of these rifles. The front swivel for the magazine tube was a little bit big and the tube flexed with any pressure on the swivel. I ended up taking the front swivel off and ordered a 10-32x5/16" Tee-Nut and a machine threaded sling swivel for it. I found a previous old post of mine where I used that set up on a Marlin Model 60 before and worked really well. So now I am in waiting mode till those two parts come in.

I have not even shot it as of yet, but did put a scope on her also last night. This will be the only scoped rifle that I have so it will be different for me to shoot. Probably sight her in and see how she shoots maybe tomorrow or this weekend. Hope the feed assembly is ok because that part use to be a common replacement part that appears to be out of stock everywhere .

I did end up taking her to the range, she preformed flawlessly with cheap Thunderbolts. Love a 40 grn. bullet. Very accurate for 1" steel plates at 25 yards.

Finally gotten the sling swivel parts in and the stock drilled and the solid Tee-Bolt mount in the forearm done. Sling all done and attached. Stock has been cut down to 12" LOP for my shorter frame size. Had a old Barska 1-4 scope that does not really match the looks of the rifle but works well. Finally took some pictures of her today, very happy with this older girl.

LilRascal
Beginner

Re: Marlin/Glenfield 1976 Model 60

Post by LilRascal »

Looks great. I'm a big fan of the 60's. You don't often see a front sight hood on them. I like it!