Varmint King

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Haydad
Beginner

Varmint King

Post by Haydad »

Gentlemen, I have a MARLIN Sako 222 with the stainless blued barrel with Varmint King in Bold letters. I was told these were made in 1956-57. This particular one is in appoximate 98%. My question is what is its value? Thanks Haydad
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Re: Varmint King

Post by JohnK »

The Varmint King I bought a few years ago, in mint condition, cost me $700.00. It looks like a new rifle. The condition will make the price fluctuate. That is a rare rifle and one that I've never regretted buying. :)
sbdjld8351
Beginner

Post by sbdjld8351 »

I traded into my Varmint King 42 years ago. I have taken more game (varmints) with it than with all my other varmint rifles put together. Until recently, it shot 5/8" groups consistently using the Lyman Manual accuracy load of 19.5 gr 4198 with a CCI Sm-Rifle primer and a 50 gr Sierra Blitz bullet. I also recall similar results with 22.5 gr 3031, which flows better thru a measure. I traded a Rem 700ADL for it back in 1966 or -67. When I bought it, the previous owner shot it so much that the primer pocket had etched a ring around the primer, but performance was unaffected. I also tried Rem 7-1/2 primers, but they were too hard for consistent ignition, and accuracy seems the same with either primer. Just stick with the CCIs in the Sako actions.

CAUTION -- I was told about the hot shooting 40 and 45 gr loads in the .222, and I tried one. I don't know if the load damaged the bore, but I couldn't hit anything with those shells, and accuracy has fallen off like crazy. I would guess I broke off a piece of MicroGroove land or the bore is copper-fouled. Any suggestions? I have one: Stick to the moderate loads for long-term reliable performance and accuracy.
sbdjld8351
Beginner

Post by sbdjld8351 »

FYI - The "Standard Catalog of Firearms" by Ned Schwing lists the Marlin Varmint King as the model 422. It states that only 354 were made between 1956-58. It only appeared in the 1958 Gun Digest.
johnsmith
Beginner

Post by johnsmith »

You might be shooting a bit light for deer with only a 90 grain bullet. Sierra makes fine bullets and ammunition, but any deer over 100 lbs is going to be more than a match for a 90 grain load.

greenhorn
Beginner

Post by greenhorn »

johnsmith wrote:You might be shooting a bit light for deer with only a 90 grain bullet. Sierra makes fine bullets and ammunition, but any deer over 100 lbs is going to be more than a match for a 90 grain load.

I am glad those deer my grandfather used to shoot did not know that. .22LR and good shot placement, but I am sure a 90 grain would bounce right off these new armor plated deer. :wink:
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

greenhorn wrote:
johnsmith wrote:You might be shooting a bit light for deer with only a 90 grain bullet. Sierra makes fine bullets and ammunition, but any deer over 100 lbs is going to be more than a match for a 90 grain load.

I am glad those deer my grandfather used to shoot did not know that. .22LR and good shot placement, but I am sure a 90 grain would bounce right off these new armor plated deer. :wink:
Image I have a buddy that hunts with a 22-250 and has gotten a deer every year for the last 60 years and all he uses is 90 grain bullets. *beep*, the US military uses smaller bullets than 90 grainers on man sized targets.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
sbdjld8351
Beginner

Post by sbdjld8351 »

Value is what you a willing buyer and seller agree on. A clean Varmint King today is a treasure worth far more than the $750 or so it is likely to draw. Heck, I saw a Heavy Barrel Sako L-46 go yesterday for just under $800 that was near-mint. Why am I always broke at the wrong time? Life is not fair.