1893 Marlin and modern cartridges

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

terry gerros
Beginner

1893 Marlin and modern cartridges

Post by terry gerros »

Hello,
This is my first post and I hope this is a reasonable question to ask....I just acquired an 1893 Marlin lever gun which has Special Smokeless Steel stamped on the barrel. The serial number is 105*** which I believe equates to an 1894 manufacture date. Of course I am itching to shoot this rifle and have purchased a box of Black Hills 38-55 Win Cowboy Action Ammunition, 255 grain lead flat nose cartridges. After finding the manufacture date, I got a bit concerned about using this ammo. The rifle seems to be solid and the lever action is tight. Are these cartridges safe to shoot in this rifle? I have posted on another forum and some say its ok to use others say to do more homework. Any and all advice is appreciated.
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Re: 1893 Marlin and modern cartridges

Post by cj57 »

those Blackhills 38-55s are fine as long as your gun is in good shape. Most factory 38-55 ammo is loaded around black powder velocity
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Terry;

Interesting that your rifle has a Special Smokeless Steel barrel in a gun shipped in 1894. Smokeless powder did not come out until 1895. Apparently, your rifle was returned to the factory for a new barrel at some time. Before 1895, the Model 1893 was available in .32-40 and .38-55 calibers only. Which is a good thing that your rifle is a .38-55 caliber.
Does your rifle have a screw in he left side of the receiver, about mid-point, just above the trigger strap? This screw was added to the Model 1893 after smokeless powders with higher pressures came out. Marlin added the screw to help strengthen the trigger strap and lever from the affect of the higher pressures developed by smokeless powder.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
terry gerros
Beginner

Post by terry gerros »

Hi
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not sure about the screw positions on the receiver. I handed my gun over to a gunsmith to go through it almost 3 weeks ago and don't have it back yet. I'll wait until after Thanksgiving to go fetch it. Have to say, I miss the old bird and would like to have her home. I got the date of manufacture from Marlin, an actual copy from their book. August 11, 1894 is the date. Terry
Winston Wolf
Beginner

Post by Winston Wolf »

terry,

where is this "Marlin Book" ? I have a similar rifle that i want to find out more info about.
Hotrodjohn71
Beginner

Post by Hotrodjohn71 »

I realize I'm coming a bit late to the conversation.
I too have a model 1893.

Mine has the "Special Smokeless" stamping. I know by the serial # that it was made in 1900.

I had thought its chambered for .30-.30, but I have a shearing issue upon ejecting spent shells every couple shots, and the non-sheared shells show an overexpansion bulge in the spot on the shell where the other ones sheer off.

I've examined the barrel for a stamp to indicate caliber, but I cannot find one.

I wonder if I've been using the wrong ammo, (30-30 WIN),

I saw Reginer said above "Model 1893 was available in .32-40 and .38-55 calibers only. "
Before I take it to the gunsmith for a headspace issue, do you think I've been using the wrong ammo?
Last edited by Hotrodjohn71 on Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

HotRodJohn71;

The statement regarding the Model 1893 being made in .32-40 and .38-55 referred to the first couple of years that the Model 1893 was made.
When Marlin started to manufacture guns using smokeless powders, there were several other calibers added to the line. The Model 1893 was made after 1895 in .25-36 Marlin, .30-30, .32 H.P.S. as well as the .32-40 and.38-55 Ballard calibers.
If you know your gun was made in 1900, it should be listed in the old factory records and could be checked to see what the caliber was when it left the factory.

Hotrodjohn71
Beginner

Post by Hotrodjohn71 »

Thank you Reginer,

I appreciate the info and your help. I have one slight issue. One of the serial number digits, (second from last) is marred illegible.

I was able to determine the 1900 production year though.
My number is 2123(something)7
Might be 212317, but the second to last didgit(1) is not certain. And the last digit (7) is likely.

I don't seem to be able to share images here on the forum.
If I cannot be certain of the serial # to verffy the caliber, could it be as easy as just trial fitting the caliber bullets you described above to rule out the chamber type, or would the gunsmith be the only.option?

I'm hoping it's not a headspace issue (which it could be if its a .30-.30), but I will have the barrel relined if I have to.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

HotRodJohn71;

Remove the butt stock and you will see the complete serial number on the upper tang. Or, if you have a steel buttplate, you can remove that and find the serial number.
Instructions on posting on posted in the section titled "NO LONGER GUEST QUESTIONS" and it is the very first post.

Hotrodjohn71
Beginner

Post by Hotrodjohn71 »

Thank you. I was able to confirm my serial # as it was under the metal butt plate as you said.
I apologize for not reading about the photo posting process beforehand.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

HotRodJohn71;

Of all the serial numbers on the page your number is listed, your number is the only one that is blank! No information listed at all. The gun after your number is a .30-30, but the one in front is a .38-55, so we cannot guess the caliber of your gun.
Sorry.......

Hotrodjohn71
Beginner

Post by Hotrodjohn71 »

Thank you, I appreciate you checking. I have read that the caliber can be stamped on the top of the barrel just forward of the receiver, and I read somewhere where it was said that the caliber could be under the wood forearm on the barrel. I checked and all I could find was an 'O' and an 'OOOO' underneath.

https://flic.kr/p/2oF1Hdw

https://flic.kr/p/2oF1Hdg

I have a query into a historical society to see if they have caliberr records.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Hotrodjohn71 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:32 am Thank you, I appreciate you checking. I have read that the caliber can be stamped on the top of the barrel just forward of the receiver, and I read somewhere where it was said that the caliber could be under the wood forearm on the barrel. I checked and all I could find was an 'O' and an 'OOOO' underneath.

https://flic.kr/p/2oF1Hdw

https://flic.kr/p/2oF1Hdg

I have a query into a historical society to see if they have caliberr records.
I've never seen an early Marlin that had a caliber marking under the forearm. I have seen some without a designation at all, but if they're marked it's always been just in front of the action top center of the barrel.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hotrodjohn71
Beginner

Post by Hotrodjohn71 »

Thank you fellas. I took it to a gunsmith and it is indeed a .30-.30.
I am having the barrel relined because it is a headspace issue and its a take-down barrel.
I really like this one and it's a family heirloom.
Price is not a consideration. Going to be alot of fun without the cartridge-splitting issue.