Marlin MR-7 Whitetail in 270 cal.

Membership Questions and Answers

Moderator: Regnier (gunrunner)

Rick Palluck
Beginner

Marlin MR-7 Whitetail in 270 cal.

Post by Rick Palluck » Mon May 19, 2014 6:30 pm

I just purchased a Marlin MR-7 Whitetail in 270 cal. and can find very little about this gun. Can someone please give me some direction as to where I can go to find out all the facts about the gun. Thank you Rick

Marlin 1992
Beginner

Re: Marlin MR-7 Whitetail in 270 cal.

Post by Marlin 1992 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:57 am

If memory serves, and what information I can gather from my sales manuals, not to mention a little SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), the MR-7 project was launched in 1997 in 30.06 and .270. In 1999, the Birch stock was introduced (MR-7B) at a reduced price. We also introduced, but never delivered many at all, a .280, .308, .243, and a 22/250 in the premium MR-7 styling. To my knowledge, little if any .280s were produced, and no short action calibers were created. The MR-7 project closed in 2000.

That information is the background and herein is where we get into the SWAG. I am guessing that your MR-7 is a birch model series which can easily be identified by the Marlin Eye above the sling swivel stud. If your rifle does not have "the eye" the stock is built from birch rather than maple. Part of the birch project was to determine if there was a stronger demand at a lower price point. If that project failed, as it did, the gun was discontinued in 2000. I suspect that one of the sales reps coordinated a project with a wholesaler somewhere in the east, mounted a 3-9 scope on the rifle and referred to it as the Whitetail. Does that description sound like your rifle?

For the record, you have a nice shooting rifle with a lot of bells and whistles. After a little Monday Morning Quarterbacking, we determined the stock to be too bulky and not ergonomically correct. Marlin did introduce another rifle with a synthetic stock which was more basic, but has been successful enough to be continued in the Remington ownership. Hope that helps.

Sanpete
Beginner

Re: Marlin MR-7 Whitetail in 270 cal.

Post by Sanpete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:00 pm

There is now a wildcat Marlin 270 express. If Marlin takes it up is anybodys's swag. It could be a good thing.