Some 1889 Marlin Trigger observations and a question.

Anything to do with gun smithing.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Some 1889 Marlin Trigger observations and a question.

Post by smithywess »

A few months ago I acquired two Models of 1889, one in .32-20 and the other in .44-40 calibre. When I disassembled them I noted that the arm that operates the lock out bar on the split trigger spring on the .32-20 had snapped off at it's base. These springs are no longer available and so I taught myself how to harden and temper springs and using Jim D's excellent article I made another split trigger spring and very successfully. Two points of note are that in both rifles the springs appeared to be of exactly the same manufacture and both lockout bar arms were quite short (about half length) giving me the impression that this is how the factory installed them. In Jim D's thread there was some question as to whether the lockout bar arm of the spring was short or long. As did Jim D I bucked the end off. The maximum pressure that can be exerted on the lock out bar is at it's mid point where it flattens out in any event. Another point is that it requires only very slight downward pressure to push the bar into battery and if the new spring is made with the lock out arm with too much 'spring' the force will overcome that of the lever catch when the rifle is reassembled, and the lever will not remain closed. This is particularly obvious in a more well worn rifle where there has resulted some weakness in the flat spring controlling the lever catch.Titrate the amount of downward force the lockout bar spring exerts with some care,and bend the bar up while the spring is still in it's annealed state and before it's hardened.

Now for my question. In both my rifles there is some free play forward and back in the trigger ( about 1/4 ") whether or not the rifle is cocked. It makes no difference to the functioning of the mechanism and the triggers are always returned to their resting points by their springs. It's just that there seems to be no physical attachment of the triggers to their sears. Was this normal for the 1889's?.

Loading for these rifles is very interesting too, but perhaps not relevant to this board,
Sandy.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Some 1889 Marlin Trigger observations and a question.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Smithywess;

The trigger play you mention is common in the Model 1889, and the first and second variations of the Model 1891, as they had the same split trigger design.
As to reloading for your Model 1889, there are some here that like to reload and shoot their antique Marlins, so feel free to discuss that also.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Regnier,
Thank you very much for your input about the free play in these triggers. The learning curve concerning these rifles always amazes me, and we are very fortunate to have folk who so freely share their knowledge,
Sandy.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

When you mention loading, do you mean reloading, or loading the 1889 mag tube?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Sorry about the late reply Marlinman but I meant reloading the cartridge.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't found anything really unusual in reloading the .38-40 personally, except the fact that's it's not really a .38, but rather a true .40 caliber.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!