Model 50 Troubleshooting

Anything to do with gun smithing.
Race
Beginner

Model 50 Troubleshooting

Post by Race »

Posted this over in Rimfires as well.

I've recently acquired a buggered up Model 50 that I'm fixing up. Got it working again, but still have an issue with the bolt stop not holding the bolt open after a round is fired.

Testing leads me to believe it's either that the bolt is short-stroking (don't know if this has the OEM mainspring or not), or that there is stiction in the bolt stop, making it rise late (possible also is a weak bolt stop spring).

Any thing else I might be missing?
Race
Beginner

Re: Model 50 Troubleshooting

Post by Race »

Problem resolved.

Closer examination of the bolt stop tunnel in the trigger block revealed several deep grooves in the tunnel where the spring rides. Apparently the spring was catching in this rough area as the stop rose, making it late to catch the bolt (it always worked fine upon cocking manually as the bolt was moving very slowly).

Reamed out the bolt stop tunnel to remove the scoring and soldered in a brass shim (half sleeve) along with tweaking the bolt stop spring a little. I'll run it as is for now, but in the future may ream out the tunnel another hair and solder in a full sleeve for a complete re-lining.