Barrel lining

Anything to do with gun smithing.
prairie_buck
Beginner

Barrel lining

Post by prairie_buck »

What is the scoop on barrel lining?

I have a very early 1900 Marlin 1893 .30-30. Both cast and jacketed bullets in both factory and reloads tumbled and keyhole. I slugged the barrel with a pure lead ball. The ball was tight at each end of the barrel but was free to slide under it's own weight in the middle. There is no detectable bulge on the out side of the barrel with a straight edge. Visual inspection of the bore tells nothing other than all looks normal and for a rifle of this vintage actually pretty good.

I received several suggestions to have it re-lined but any of the gunsmiths I have talked to say the .30 cal liners are not available due to concerns that they maybe used inappropriately such as in a .300 Win Mag.

So there are three questions: What are your comments on the why this rifle is shooting?
Is relining it an option?
Is there a gunsmith up here in Western Canada that can assist with these issues

Prairie Buck
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Barrel lining

Post by marlinman93 »

Someone has lead you astray. They do indeed sell barrel liners with .300" bore and .308" lands for the .30-30 or other centerfire cartridges. Yes, they should not be used on every centerfire, but they are available from Track of the Wolf for $4.49 per inch.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categorie ... ort=1&as=1
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!